Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #51

Re: Amsoil oil Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
I can also say that the ultimate fault will fall on the OEM of a given product and was assured that Amsoil has already become proactive in solving this problem .
Greggde
If the problem is an installation issue then why would asmoil be at fault? Why are some installed correctly and others not? Just asking. (for the record I don't have the amsoil system)

Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #52

Amsoil oil Systems

Any item sold and not provided explicit instructions or means of identification of said product can and frequently does open the proverbial Can Of Worms and believe me our court system allows for this liability to move in strange directions . We have been found at fault on at least four occasions for items sold by us and even though instructions were provided and the items were installed incorrectly we were liable three of the times because the instructions were not multilingual , once for Chinese , once for French and the most recent in the Mexican dialect . In all three of these cases the products involved were sold to American based and owned English speaking
companies . And most well managed companies do all possible , to insure that these sort of possible scenarios never reach the liberal court systems .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #53

In hind sight some left hand threading would have prevented this.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #54
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Thanks for the info, However not all of us are personal friends of the owners of SMB and I think very few of us are fortunate enough to get personal calls. Glade to hear you have been singled out and are receiving individualized treatment.

As I read the message you are referring to I would have to assume it is as you indicate Jonathan an owner of SMB and not just some Johnny on the board.

If he is talking for SMB then he should have said so. And you don’t pour water on a magnesium fire. It can be put out rather quickly with good business practice.

IMHO this is just another step in the poor way to carry on business.

Am I also to assume your AMS oil system is fixed?
CJ...chill dude It's not like our engines have blown up. For your information the only reason I know the folks at SMB is largely due to the fact I live close to Fresno. If I didn’t I would have had to make many of the repairs that have occurred to my van myself. And believe me I have had my share of problems. I hope I don’t have to list them for you but I too have spent valuable time, effort, and money going to and from Fresno. When I bought the van I anticipated this. I looked at an Earthroamer, but being they are in Colorado I decided that trips to Fresno would be less expensive than driving through several states. Any motor home or trailer usually will have problems also, but something that is unique to each customer like a Sportsmobile is bound to have more problems than your common RV. Now I’m not giving SMB a free pass on quality control but I have never had better assistance from any other company in my life. You won’t get that from Ford. I feel for the members on this board who live far from any of the SMB locations but if anybody thinks they are never going to have problems…come on. These things are on an assembling line so to speak. Many of the problems on my rig have been due to manufactured equipment that SMB installed and not their fault. Then there are the bonehead mistakes made by the crews. Some of the work is substandard and much of it is posted about on this site. In my case SMB has been more than willing to retrofit a screw up so their business practices seem fit to me but I still have qualms about their quality control. Rather than fight SMB, I make them aware of the problem so it doesn’t re-occur, try to let them work it out, and hope the repair works. Unfortunately sometimes it doesn’t and back I go. But if my engine did burn up because of something SMB did I would be having a long talk with them. Fortunately this is not the case. And NO my lines are still backwards. I’m scheduled to be there tomorrow to swap the lines, as well as looking at a list of other problems I'm having. Nature of the beast IMO. For those owners who have never had any problems, may the dirt and mud gods be with you I’m jealous.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #55
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewST

After switching the lines, if the engine noise level goes down with other owners, could it be that the engine was running with higher oil pressure due to flow restrictions? Or reduced oil flow?

On an older car, I know the oil level just by earing the valve noises of the engine! Less oil, more noise!

Andrew
I'll post back tomorrow if I get my van back but my engine did quiet down after installing the AMSOIL also. My guess is there will be no change in how it runs. AMSOIL is coming out with a new delevery system block that will supply a better oil flow than what is being offered now. I plan on looking at it if it will fit a 6.0. I would hope that they would make that system idiot proof by doing something like Jage said. The filters can't be swapped and it makes sense to do something similar.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #56

Dave,

When I discovered the problem we initially thought my filter head was defective so Jim at Amsoil sent me the new filter head. It fits in the original bracket and the only difference in installation is that the bypass filter is in the back of the filter head.

John
Old 12-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #57

John,
Do you remember the price of the new style filter head?
Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #58

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Its now official.
Left goes right and right goes left.

I just checked McBeast, who has been sitting in the driveway since our Big Bend Ranch State Park trip, and the lines are reversed. It is certainly easy to see how this could happen I almost wonde why the system was designed to have the lines crossed the way they need to be.

I guess this means I wll be adding a little oil to the drained oil tank, using up my spare filters, and having to top off the oil before our two holiday trips.

When swapping the lines, is there any sealant used? teflon tape?

How tight are the lines originally? and can they be retightened easily? Is there any danger of torqueing the mounting connections for the blocks the lines attach to?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
When swapping the lines, is there any sealant used? teflon tape?

How tight are the lines originally? and can they be retightened easily? Is there any danger of torqueing the mounting connections for the blocks the lines attach to?
I did what Jim from Amsoil said.
Use teflon tape on the threads, make sure it is not on the ball of the fitting.
Put a dab of grease on the ball of the fitting. The Amsoil instructions say not to use any type of sealant on the hose fittings.

My original lines were "very" tight to remove. (Perhaps because there was no teflon tape on them.) The Amsoil instructions say to tighten the hose fittings to 525-575 INCH pounds.

You can find the instructions on the Amsoil webpage.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx
Links are near the bottom of the page.

Edit
Something else.
I mentioned to Jim that I could never hand tighten my filters tight enought to stop them from vibrating loose. He siad to use a strap wrench (not a chain or filter metal band) at the top and tighten it down. The gaskets on the new filters don't want to compress as they should. He did say a SMB owner had the nipple stick to the filter when they removed it.

Also, he did not recommend the purchasing and installing the the Amsoil BK-13 sampling kit fitting that mounts to the rear of the filter block. Said it wasn't a quality fitting.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
The Amsoil instructions say to tighten the hose fittings to 525-575 INCH pounds.
(emphasis mine)

Weird specification. That would be 43.75 FT-lbs to 47.92 FT-lbs. Since when is an automotive appliation in IN-lbs?

There was a Jeep spec on the internet that said 104 FT-lbs for a small bolt, and I was thinking this was one of those "drop the decimal from copy paste things" (it was actually 10.4 not 104 talk about sheared bolt potential!)