Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #71

Garage

Quote:
Herb:
“From my somewhat limited experience with diesels, diesel + oil = very black oil.”

There is no way for me to make any kind of claim one way or another about the quality of an oil based on its color - and I doubt that I would be alone here. I need to get this oil analyzed to be of any real value. I would only submit that my first complete oil change at 4,500 miles and my next complete oil change roughly 4,000 miles later were customarily dark in color, but not pitch black. There was also nowhere near the amount of crud on the magnetic drain plug. This past complete oil change spanned twice the miles of the first two… and the color as well as the accumulation just took me by surprise. If black oil is really the way of the diesel, then I hope to hear more comments here that support this. I am not too set in my ways to adjust my reference point… I just need to know what ‘normal’ is for this class of engine.

Quote:
CJ:
“Good thing OUR magnets did their job reducing the effects.”

Magnets are good!!

Quote:
Brian:
“Are you using dino or syn oil?”

I have only… and will continue to use only AMSOIL synthetic diesel oil in this rig.

Quote:
Dave:
“Why are you using that filter?”

Well, I really don’t have a good answer for this. If I had to guess, my SMB probably came with the same Donaldson P553411 you reference (need to go back into my old photo archives to see if I can verify this). Assuming this was the case, I may have inadvertently ended up with a relative of the same parts guy that tried to sell you the AMSOIL Ea026 filter. As a gift, my dad ended up purchasing all of the ingredients to perform my first oil change (as he could get a break on the cost due to some customer number he maintained). I supplied him with the part numbers (based on what was already on the van) and he fulfilled the order from a local AMSOIL distributor. In hindsight, this is where the Ea026 filter ‘may’ have replaced what was already on the van (if my dad was convinced by the dealer that the Ea026 was a functionally equivalent part). I wont know the whole history because my dad suffered a massive stroke two months ago and he is not coherent enough to recollect. In any case, once the Ea026 showed up, I have put one on ever since.

Some humor intended below...
As for running oil through a filter in reverse… I can drive my car in reverse too, but if I drive my car in reverse for 20K continuous miles… it is the ‘system’ that is in jeopardy of breaking down (outside of the fact that there is a reverse gear supplied) - because there are a number of individual components in the ‘system’ not designed (or tested) to sustain that kind of use for prolonged periods of time. Also included in this ‘system’ are expectations. I could be missing something… but I don’t think I have heard of a fleet of taxi cabs and 12K lb cargo vans with ass-backward remote filter systems being used in a longevity study… just to make certain they work, either way.

To the point, let’s say that I made a mistake and am running the incorrect filter (Ea026) in my van (a filter that AMSOIL supplied and obviously integrates with the AMSOIL dual remote filter block). Is it incorrect only because running the Ea026 simply is not optimal under normal flow conditions (in which case I am simply wasting my money) - or - is the Ea026 hazardous in a sustained reverse flow condition? End result is that I toast my engine by doing this (theoretically). Seems to me that there is plenty of blame to go around because everyone had expectations that were not met. The ‘system’ broke down because once the lines were setup in reverse, this system was not tolerant of any other changes that would – under ordinary circumstances - present zero risk. Making the argument that filter ‘A’ is capable of running in reverse is still not an acceptable statement… because once in reverse, the system itself is intolerant of nominal change - well within the ‘normal’ limits if the van had been plumed correctly in the first place. The ‘system’ idea goes beyond what the individual part was actually capable of.

As far as I know, my engine is fine (ran it for 100 miles today in fact on a new oil change with the lines crossed appropriately). I will get the old oil tested this time and then go back to completely changing my oil every 5K miles as I did before, regardless of this fix. Looks like I will be looking into a few Donaldson P553411 filters as well.

Thanks for all of info… it is invaluable.

Cheers,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #72
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #73

"Its now official. Left goes right and right goes left."

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/album_ ... e48a25.jpg

So, to confirm, is this diagram showing the view from below, looking up at the bottom of the van?

Brian
Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbat

So, to confirm, is this diagram showing the view from below, looking up at the bottom of the van?

Brian
Its a view from the top looking down. The filter base actually has the arrows on it although you need an inspection mirror to see them.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #75

Remote oil filters

Well I got my bypass as a kit from SMB and put it on myself. Per their instructions.

Mine is also reversed. I also bought 5 Ea026 filters. And now I hear they are wrong also.

The only good thing to my story is I change both filters at 5000 miles.

TWO LOST I also had broken metal parts on my oil plug but that was at my first oil change(5000). I don't like to think about it.......

Jeff
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #76

FYI, I just spoke to Jim of Amsoil today while ordering new filters and oil.

He mentioned to remove the spring and ball check on the oil filter unit. He said that in the chamber closest to the driver's side, there will be a spring and an allen wrench cap. Undo the allen wrench cap, remove the spring and attached to the spring will be an piece of aluminum. There will be an o-ring on the allen cap which will not be reusable. The ring size is almost impossible to find, he suggests to use a little bit of teflon tape on the threads when replacing the allen cap.

Another thing he mentioned was when switching the hoses at the engine block, be sure to use two 7/16th wrenches, do not move the nipple on the block because a teflon seal might break causing it to leak.

I haven't performed this as I am waiting for my new filters and oil. Jim mentions the "drivers' side chamber", If I'm not mistaken the filters are inline where there is no driver's/passenger's side. I'll have to clarify again with him. It may be the spring visible in Twolost's third photo above. Has anyone else performed this step?
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #77

Amsoil oil Systems

armlock and fellow Forum Members ,
I would get these instructions in a certified letter of notification from Amsoil !!! Warranty's/ Guarantees are only as good as the paper that they are written on !!! I was given information today that led me to believe that this information has not been yet certified in writing by Amsoil . I was told by an authority of Amsoil not SportsMobile that my system was installed correctly as I had previously posted and this is not the case , I too have a reversal of lines .
With all of the here say and confusion with regard to to this problem I feel that any and all change's should be etched in Stone!!!
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #78

I'm hearing you loud and clear Greggde! Thanks.
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #79

By Pass

Does anyone have Jims number at Amsoil.?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #80

Jim Flechner

(714) 390 7873

I "think" his email address is
jcgreatestoil@msn.com
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote