Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #201
Site Team

Garage
Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

Mikes on point. I ran mine for quite some time and did have an injector issue but can't say that the filter and/or routing issue was the problem. I did have an EGR problem at the time. Tests after I had them change to the correct oil line routing were all good and when my engine was bullet proofed at 90K the shop said it looked like a new engine. I take it you're now using the Donaldson P553411.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #202

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

Thanks Dave (& Mike), I had a good talk with Amsoil Jim and he assurred me that the "backwards filtering" of the past 25,000 miles is unlikely to have caused any engine damage,.. Filters still supposedly functioning, just backwards. I was having trouble getting the Donaldson 553411 filter, so I am currently using a Wix 51411 instead (recommended by Amsoil Jim as equivalent), along with a new Amsoil EaBP-100 bypass filter, both changed when I swapped the hoses. I'm waiting for the results of the Blackstone oil test, but Amsoil Jim thinks that my Amsoil DME oil change with 4000 miles on it is probably still fine.
As far as the CEL issue and sporatic flashing overdrive "Off" light that I was experiencing, an Innova 3100 OBD-II code reader says "No Powertrain DTC's or Freeze Frame Data is presently stored in the vehicle's computer" ??, and the CEL has disappeared? I expect that it may return next time I make a long drive. I read that the flashing overdrive "Off" light on the shift lever is indicative of a transmission problem?, but I'm still thinking that it might have been sticking vanes in the turbo since there seemed to be lower power when starting up from a stop.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #203

Just to check, seems like this issue was discovered in around '08. So a 2010 SMB with amsoil should be fine? I'll still give it a look though!
crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #204

Anyone know how often Amsoil oil and filter should be changed? I've read and heard various different suggested mileages.
Botchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #205

Garage
Hello everyone. I have a 2003 chassis with the 7.3 liter engine. SMB 4x4.
I installed the Amsoil remote filtration system myself after SMB had installed the mounting points. Did this because I was not past the break in mileage and wanted to wait a bit. I now have just over 97,000 miles and have had excellent oil analysis results the entire time.

Referring to John and Dana's original post has left me in more of a state of confusion then I'm usually in. Here's the quote from that original post:

"For the following description I will refer to the oil ports as right and left with the right being the passengers side and the left being the drivers side."

Looking at the assembly diagram that D and J received from Heber it appears that driver side port from the engine mounted adapter goes to the driver side port on the block adapter that holds the filters. (Lets forget left and right for now). I have the original installation instructions from my Amsoil kit and the graphic is identical to the one in the first post by D and J. If the posted diagram provided by Heber is correct (backed up by my original diagram) then shouldn't drivers side port go to drivers side port?

I suppose that the left right orientation on the engine mounted adapter could be different depending on how the threads started and how much or little the adapter was torqued. In any case my engine adapter is labeled "out" and is on the drivers side. So my install is driver to driver ports and pax to pax ports which agrees with the diagram in post one but disagrees with D and J's original statement of left to right etc.

I have not checked the temperature by hand or otherwise which I will do soon but unless the diagram provided by Heber and the one I have is wrong then I fail to understand the issue unless the graphic is wrong or the ports mislabeled.

Hope someone can clear this up for my simple mind...
darryldickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #206
Site Team

I don't know if the 7.3L Amsoil system is hooked up the same way as the 6.0L system.

Herb
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #207

Sorry for the late followup on my post #202 above,.. The good news: the Blackstone Oil Test came back in good shape, so hopefully no damage to the engine from having the Amsoil Bypass dual filter system hooked up backwards for the first 25,000 miles of its break-in life. The only marker that was high was for copper at 15 (as compared to a universal average of 3), which Blackstone attributed as likely "lingering break-in for such a low mileage 6.0L PSD",.. all other markers were in normal ranges and no contaminants. The bad news is that now my CEL light has come back on again and my Innova OBD2 scan tool says it is a code P0657. My book says this is a generic code for "Actuator supply voltage - circuit open",... since I don't even know what the "actuator" is, I guess I'm in for another expensive visit to the local Ford dealership. Web searching this code indicates that it possibly has something to do with the PCM, perhaps faulty, or potentially a short in the harness to the transmission. I pulled off the doghouse and gave the harness a look-over, but found nothing. Has anyone else had experience with this code / PCM issues? I don't know what else to check. Thanks.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #208

Can someone please post the Amsoil model number used on the 06 6.0 DLS ? Already have the Coolant filter so oil seems the logical next step.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #209

Nick, if you are asking for a model number of the Amsoil dual filter bypass unit used by Sportsmobile on 2006 6.0L PSD, after extensive searching my best guess is that the Amsoil bypass unit used was actually their "marine dual filter" unit to hold the filters connected by the two hoses to a Sportsmobile procured adapter block that attached to the lower driver's side of the engine in place of the stock Ford oil filter. On later installations, the "marine-type" Amsoil dual filter unit was replaced with a similar, but redesigned Amsoil dual filter module that did not have the temperature regulated pressure valve in it,.. I believe that newer model is still currently available combined with a newer Amsoil model adapter block for this application. Perhaps Jim Fletcher can jump in here and clarify the accuracy of this, or correct my mis-conception. The whole "Backassward hookup problem" on the 6.0L PSDs appears to have resulted from Sportsmobile West's use of the same engine adapter block for both the 7.3L and the 6.0L engines, without realizing or educating their mechanics that the input and output oil ports of the 7.3L and 6.0L engines are reversed,... so for several years they hooked up the 6.0L engines backwards and once the issue was discovered, they stuck their heads in the sand (or up their a**es?) and accepted no accountability for their mistake. Sorry I don't have any actual model numbers,.. my information is from searching several years vintages of Amsoil catalogs and trying to figure out what Sportsmobile had installed on my rig.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #210

Thank you, yep appreciate any part number info on whats needed to add the dual filter to my 06 6.0.

I have 50k miles on it, religiously change the synthetic oil every 5K miles and perhaps a dual filter may allow me to extend the life of the oil to 8k miles.

My strategy on the 6.0 is all about keeping all liquids as clean as possible so a dual filter just sounds like a good practice.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote