Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #21

Re: What Axle do I want? 9.75 or 10.5 Full Float

Does this van make my axle look fat?

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #22

Congrats...Let me know how it goes as I am still thinking of which way to go Sterling or Dana 60/70.
I am still leaning towards the Dana because I might not convert it to 4x4 at the same time as the axle swap, so I would have to keep using the 8 on 6.5 wheels. That and the 2008 Brake change but that means I need an RSC axle from 2008 or newer for the swap.

Good Luck on the install...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #23

Thanks Ultrasport, I'll do my best with documentation. If you do convert, I think I know where you can get some spacers to convert your rear axle to match the front lug pattern.

BigVans, no, of course not.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #24

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Having done more than my fair share of this sort of thing, I can assure you that it is much easier accomplished on the "Bench" (ground) than under the vehicle.

A $16 digital level is available from Harbor Freight (the small square one) and works great - I use one all the time. The better one I have is from Sears and runs $35, both are a nice tool to have.

I suggest checking the output angle, because most likely you are off because of the lift. There is a fair amount of fudge factor that will still work, but this is the perfect time to get it right. Good explanations here: Driveshaft Angles

Remove the old axle and set it on some Jack Stands (or it can sit on the brake rotors/drums) and use your digital level to set the Pinion Gear center line to level (you can clamp something to the flange to hold it in place) and then check the angle of the spring perches. All you have to do is put the new axle on the Jack Stands and duplicate the angles.

If you want to make adjustments to the new axle to compensate for the lift, you can do the math and adjust as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smugdoug
BajaSportsmobile, My thought was to just copy my current d60 axle. Yes, the van is lifted 6" but my current angle seems to work just fine, no problems with noise etc. from my driveline. Besides that is what Chris at UJoint said would work.

My thought was with the d60 axle still in the van, get the van level, that is get the spring perches level. It seems like the perches should be parallel to the ground, right? Then just reference the ground under the pinion flange for my angle. Am I missing something. I know the ground under the pinion would have to be level also, and I could use some type of angle finder from there.

Then with the angle I can determine how to locate the new spring perches on the Sterling. I do not weld so I'm having someone in Oceanside who works on axles do the Welding.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #25

Thanks Baja, I will take your advice on the level, I think I've needed one for a while. I was trying to get the new axle done for the most part with out having to lose the use of my van.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #26

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smugdoug
Thanks Baja, I will take your advice on the level, I think I've needed one for a while. I was trying to get the new axle done for the most part with out having to lose the use of my van.
You can get all the angles off the van and as they sit in the van; I would again suggest three - output center line angle, input center line angle (pinion, or 90* off the drive flange), and the spring perch angles. Draw it all out on a piece of paper and calculate the difference in degrees you ultimately want between the pinion center line and the perches and build that into your new axle on the "bench" and then make the swap.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #27

Gotcha Baja, I'm going to run down to Harbor Freight at Lunch time and get that level. I'll then try to spend a little time this afternoon laying out all the angles in my current set up and try and educate myself. Thanks for the input.

Later

Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #28

Look what showed up. As usual Chris at Ujoint has come through with some nice parts for the conversion.

When figuring out my pinion angle in relation to my spring perches I came up with ~11 degrees. Driveshaft angle from my output of TC was ~7 degrees and Driveshaft angle to pinion from Driveshaft was 2.5 degrees.

Anyone have input on the difference I'm seeing in angles from the Driveshaft? Seems like a big difference between 7 degrees and 2.5 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Ujoint kita.jpg  

Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #29

All that U-Joint Stuff is so nice and as always Chris just makes things better and better.

PM me about the adapters when time comes, its one of things I have not purchased yet. But I still may do a Sterling who knows. It depends on if I can do the axle and the 4x4 stuff at the same time of if I just keep the 2wd for a while. I use the thing so much that I hate to even tie it up for anything, but my semi float is getting a bit noisy so I may have to repair it or change it. Does a semi float take the same carrier as a full float Dana? Or does it depend on the axle spline count? My semi float has a limited slip already in it.

Also does anyone know if the F series trucks get a rear brake upgrade like the vans did in 2008?
If so what year?
I know the Sterling axles got wider in 2005 when they changed the rim offset, any chance the brakes changed that year?

please keep us posted on your install.

...Jaime
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #30

I will let you know for sure when the spacers are ready for ya. My new to me axle get's the spring pads welded on tomorrow and should be ready to roll under the van over the weekend. I'm waiting for the Emergency brake adapter from Chris, and I should have that by end of the week.

If anyone would like to know, the Spring pads are being welded in at 49" on center and 11 degrees rotated from the pinion. The Sterling' original pads were rotated at 10 degrees from the pinion.

Can't answer you on the carrier for sure, but it would seem to make sense that they were interchangeable.

Have no idea about the brake upgrades.

Later