Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #61

Wow, that's a smoking deal on the injectors especially if they are new! Otherwise, I think unless folks want bigger nozzles that Ford Motorcraft OEM is the way to go.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #62

[QUOTE=ucsundog;280712]No Hurt feelings here... I'm just super stoked that my wife is supporting this and the way I see it is that I LOVE THIS VAN and I'm keeping it forever!!! ]

That's funny about keeping it forever my old boss was so excited when he bought a diesel when he turned 50, he said he was going to keep it forever !!
He passed away last year at 66, He kept his word... He loved that thing 👍👍

Sorry that was not too meant to be diesel bashing it's just standard observation and talk..
No difference than a sitting and having coffee in a Starbucks & shooting the s#*t.
In my case I just don't have the funds to maintain such a high cost used vehicle. I may as well buy an airplane and a boat.... lol 😄
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #63

Thanks ucsundog for the info. Looks like accuratediesel are the injectors to use at the moment.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsundog View Post
Ford Dealer price - $1500 but Jay(Zylstra) found one for 700! This guy Jay made me it so much easier for me and I will tell you that he was the most responsive and helpful guy compared to all the other shops which in the end made it so much easier for me to decide to go with them.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the link!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #65

10/2 update

So I picked up the van and I’m super grateful. We had a few little hiccups with timing and some debugging on issues, but in the end after a month at the shop I drove it 3hrs back home to the Bay Area.

In any case, as I’m breaking the engine in I noticed that my Coolant/Oil temp was hovering 208/210 and when I increased my speed 70 Mph 97deg ambient temp, the temps went to 215/220. Also noticed that at 220 my ac air was no longer blowing cold air and in fact it was very warm air. I should have changed out the Ac compressor/aC clutch. 😔 gonna have to look into this later.

Back to the coolant/Oil temps, It has the stock tune and I’m wondering if this is expected. As a comparison, my old engine would be 190/195 consistent freeway driving but this had the SCt tune tow 50 and the Atlas 40 tune. Thoughts?
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:03 AM   #66

Garage
At 97 degree temps outside, that Doesn’t look too out of line, but the temps are also influenced by several other factors:
What RPM’s are you hitting to do 70mph? I have 4:56 gears and run 2300rpm’s to do 70.
Did you install a low temp thermostat?
What does your van weigh?
Old 10-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #67

If your A/C works until the ECTs hit 220F, it's not likely t a problem with the A/C clutch.

Can you hear the engine fan coming on?
Old 10-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #68

Garage
Doesn't look abnormal. A new engine will take a few thousand miles to break in.

1. Get it tuned...that will help with temp control.
2. 70mph + 97-F ambient is fast + warm...try 65mph and see what happens.
3. The A/C can cause a temp increase when on.
4. Look into the heater valve upgrade to help with A/C...very worthwhile = https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...t=heater+valve
Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #69

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies and yes I will be getting a custom tune. I'm almost at 500 miles today and I will try the canned tunes to see if the temps go down.

btw, I'm running 4.10 gears w/35s and the van weighs 9600 - 10K.

Thanks,

Alex
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #70

Garage
I'd recommend 5-Star Tune - they can set you up, and are familiar with these Vans.

I also was concerned with my temps, since they hovered on the higher side of average - mostly due to the Van weighing close to 12K lbs when loaded. I drove to their shop & had 3 tunes created (40, 50, and 60hp), but they also tweaked it so the fan would engage earlier. This has helped tremendously when I hit steep and/or long grades, but more importantly when I'm running slowly in 4 low...this is when temps increase quickly since you really don't have any air flowing through the radiator.