Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #71

After 500 miles of break-in, I tried the “performance” canned tune and wow this thing does burn outs! The temps are still high on the average 210/214 and the tranny is at 200 and up to 208 and the EGTs shot up all the way to 1350-1400! This thing pulls! I obviously didn’t hold WOT for very long but I tell you this power is addicting! The other thing that was surprising was the Aver MPG shot up to 19/21!

I’m Going to call Mikes 5star Tyne tomorrow to see what they can do.

ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #72

Do you think Mike at 5 Star Tuning would be up for a Google Teams conference call for the Forum? Might save him some time on the phone. Since I installed a KC stage 1.0 turbo last spring I've been looking for some optimizing beyond the stock tune as there seems to be a noticeable difference between it and the original Garret turbo. Anyway, I've been thinking of talking to 5 star in the near future as well.

ucsundog, just want to agree with the others that the temps you report are well within what is considered normal. That doesn't mean the temps are ideal, or to your liking, just normal. You are probably also aware that EGT temps can vary widely based on where the temp is measured. Internet posts will claim their EGTs are low but they are measuring it post turbo vs in the exhaust manifold. Just be aware of where someone else is measuring vs where you are measuring.

Here is a link to a post a few years back on 6.0 normal temps as a reference.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-6l-19087.html

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #73

Hey Guys,

Quick update....

I installed the innovative diesel tunes and the temps got within range. I also installed the Tru-cool Max transmission cooler and she runs at 160 around town and on the highway. Gonna test her out in the mountains. So far all is good!

-Alex
Old 04-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #74

Update on 4/14/22 on my new 6.0 long block install by Zylstra in Visalia. Zylstra = Poor workmanship and customer service!!!

- After ~20K Miles, i noticed that there’s oil in my Coolant Reservoir!!!. Seems like the Oil cooler failed!!! The Oil cooler was new! I’m kicking my self in the rear for not installing the BPF oil cooler in the 1st place!!! I tried going back to Zylstra and they said that they are not working on any Sportmobiles after mine. Apparently, after bringing my Van back to Sean(Visalia) for 2 other occasions, they had enough with these types of Vans. It sucks because even though my engine was out of warranty, they refused to work on it. I will be posting a poor review on Yelp re. Their service and how they didn’t even offer to help.

I have a question re. Anyone else experiencing a stock oil cooler going bad after ~20K miles. Btw, I monitor my oil and coolant temps with my Edge CTS and my deltas were perfect and it’s only when I went to check my coolant, and I found oil in it.

In any case, I’m getting my van towed to J’s Performance to get him to fix this issue. Has anyone experienced any bad service or regret going to J’s?
Old 04-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #75

ucsundog, sorry this is happening to you. If it is the oil cooler that has failed I'd be curious if it was not a genuine Ford part. Internet Truck world over the years has shown Doorman, eBay, and parts house coolers rupturing prematurely. The genuine Ford coolers (purchased at Ford or reputable online vendor, lots of fake genuine out there) have been solid. I remember you being pretty thorough in your parts list on this project so I'm not sure how an inferior part might crept in. Or is the possibility of poor assembly the likely cause. The next mechanic will likely be able to easily tell what the cause is.

Again, sorry to hear of the setback

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
ucsundog, sorry this is happening to you. If it is the oil cooler that has failed I'd be curious if it was not a genuine Ford part. Internet Truck world over the years has shown Doorman, eBay, and parts house coolers rupturing prematurely. The genuine Ford coolers (purchased at Ford or reputable online vendor, lots of fake genuine out there) have been solid. I remember you being pretty thorough in your parts list on this project so I'm not sure how an inferior part might crept in. Or is the possibility of poor assembly the likely cause. The next mechanic will likely be able to easily tell what the cause is.

Again, sorry to hear of the setback

-Eric
Hi Eric, No need to be sorry but i appreciate the moral support. . I agree with you and as an FYI, I purchased my parts at Accuratediesel.com and the guy that I worked with is a guy named TIm. I also purchased an IPR from him and it turned out that the IPR was also a “dud” during the engine install, and now the Oil cooler has failed. I’m now questioning where the get their parts. I spoke to him and he said that the Oil cooler was “new” but I’m not sure if it was a Factory OEM model.

In any case, I’m actually going to now do the BPF oil cooler so that this type of thing will never happen. J’s performance apparently has a custom way of mounting the Oil cooler radiator with 2 external fans. Apparently, he’s done many SportsMobiles and he said he did the Sportsmobile of Dave Fieldman, the owner of SMBWest at the time. Hopefully, this will work and I won’t have any more issues pop up.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #77
Site Team

Garage
I also opted out of a BP oil cooler but so far so good. Knock on wood, I haven't had too many issues with J's performance. Once I made it about 15 miles when the engine shut down and had to return. And if you have a Starcool make sure they put back the correct 72 oz of Freon required. Repair time might be a factor cause they are always busy but I can deal with that better than poor workmanship. But any shop can screw up, and I guess I was lucky with Zylstra's other than the horrible SCT tuner and tune they put in. Almost every issue I've had after the bullet proofing has been bolt-on Ford parts which worried me a bit about using a stock oil cooler but so far so good. I decided to use J's because I'm within 90 miles, and they work on a lot of SMB's, but if you live a good distance from Fresno I'd suggest doing good hard test drive before getting too far from the shop. As mentioned, any shop can screw up and miss something. I wish you luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #78

man, sorry to hear this news. The good news is replacing the oil cooler isn't that big a deal. Top end stuff has to come off so it's labor intensive but at least you don't have to pull the engine. It could also be a cracked head or failed head gasket which would be bad news x 10.

It would be good to confirm whether or not it was an OEM oil cooler that was installed and not a Dorman. Honestly, with the upgraded EGR coolers and also the fact that this is a reman engine (ie., no casting sand) and ELC coolant (ie., no ford gold sludge) then the reasons the oil cooler passageways clog up are are eliminated. And it's the EGR cooler that fails when that happens and you also have an upgraded one, correct?

Keep us posted but IMHO I still think the BPD external oil cooler is a solution in search of a problem.

edit to add: stock oil cooler on my rebuild now at 45,000k and making 400HP.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #79

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsundog View Post
I have a question re. Anyone else experiencing a stock oil cooler going bad after ~20K miles.
I replaced the high pressure oil pump 2 years ago, and 4 weeks later it developed issues - turned out to be defective. Shop called Ford and their position was they would gladly replace the pump but would not cover any labor costs.
The Shop called me to deliver the bad news, and then said they would cover it so I wouldn't have to contend with the financial burden - Took me by surprise, but certainly appreciated the gesture.
They've been great to work with the last 7 years, and because they offered, I really couldn't let them take the 'hit' alone... so they ultimately agreed to split the cost with me. Its that kind of Service that creates loyalty!
Sorry to hear your predicament went so sideways.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
man, sorry to hear this news. The good news is replacing the oil cooler isn't that big a deal. Top end stuff has to come off so it's labor intensive but at least you don't have to pull the engine. It could also be a cracked head or failed head gasket which would be bad news x 10.

It would be good to confirm whether or not it was an OEM oil cooler that was installed and not a Dorman. Honestly, with the upgraded EGR coolers and also the fact that this is a reman engine (ie., no casting sand) and ELC coolant (ie., no ford gold sludge) then the reasons the oil cooler passageways clog up are are eliminated. And it's the EGR cooler that fails when that happens and you also have an upgraded one, correct?

Keep us posted but IMHO I still think the BPD external oil cooler is a solution in search of a problem.

edit to add: stock oil cooler on my rebuild now at 45,000k and making 400HP.

Hi Joe, Yes, I have an aftermarket EGR cooler, and at this point all things are pointing to a failed Oil cooler but it may also be something else, and I’m just praying for the best.