Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #11

I’ve been meaning to pick up a silcock key. Thanks for the reminder!

I can’t believe you guys carry all that stuff! But then again I’m not 4x4 so I don’t go as far off the beaten path as you do. And, while I am mechanical to a degree, don’t know how to do the “big” work that some do.

We always have bikes along, so I bring a fairly complete set of bike tools as I’m a competent bike mechanic. They don’t take much room and I’ve been able to help others at campgrounds, etc., too.

For the van, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the tool to remove the fuel filter. I carry one of those, plus an extra filter. Heater hose repair tape. Full socket set (one of the pre-packaged Craftsman sets). Hammer, assorted screwdrivers, prybar, piece of pipe to serve as a cheater bar over a socket wrench handle, vice grips, side cutters. A good assortment of electrical connectors and crimps, multimeter, fuses.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #12

‘That’s a pretty comprehensive list. I don’t know if I coul fit all that in my van...’

Wadewaydo- this awesome list for a master engineer goes in your chase van, it’ll tag along in support for all your adventures; or, travel with the arctic traveler, that would be like having a guardian angle!

All kidding aside, we love lists and and proper preparation is vital.

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #13

I hear lots of concern about how much space all my tools take up, but a medium sized rubbermaid tub will hold it all with room to spare, even though I do have it spread around different spots under the bed. The tool rolls and socket rails take up little space, the ammo can holds smaller tools and little loose stuff and ziploc bags contain all the hardware, epoxys, locktite, wire, etc. As for doing any kind of engine work on the road, I can only say that I have never needed to do anything other than change one COP, and that barfed right in my driveway. I've also got a spare belt. Should I loose a water pump, idler, alternator,or some other accessory bolted to the outside of the engine, I've got the tools to deal with it, but sourcing the parts would be a bigger problem. If I had a diesel, I'm not sure what I'd carry though, but other than fuel pump issues I have had zero problems with the mighty 5.4. I've always felt it's better to be over prepared than under. Coupled with regular maintenance and close inspection of everything mechanical prior to every trkp, will pretty much assure you won't need those tools.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #14

Well the chain saw and floor jack would be on a case by case basis.
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #15

Some great lists here, and am going to definitely add some of these suggestions.
What about lighting for those night time activities?
Good flashlight as well as a headlamp for those hard to get areas.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:44 AM   #16
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Now we are seriously getting somewhere! DaveB in the house!! I mean DaveB in HIS house (lol)..All we need is Broncohauler and a Wonderboy's list and I will be able to make a decent pack list for my usage ... I know I won't (most probably?) go where no Artictraveller has gone before, BUT, you never know...great thread so far gentleman!...and Happy New Year!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #17

Garage
Other than recovery gear which I keep in a 5g bucket with extra gloves, most all my tools fit in one toolbox. I also utilize tool rolls. They are very handy and good space savers.

Another thing I haven't seen listed are line wrenches. My set saved my ass last summer when a rear brake line broke. Also was able to make a flare in the field that worked but a flaring tool is on my list as well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #18

I'm considering getting rid of all my tools, and just going to this one.

Happy New Year!

wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Another thing I haven't seen listed are line wrenches. My set saved my ass last summer when a rear brake line broke. Also was able to make a flare in the field that worked but a flaring tool is on my list as well.
Is a line wrench the same as a tubing wrench? (a box end with a slot to slip over the line?) That reminds me, I also have two spare brake lines, slightly longer than the original ones since when fully articulated they are pretty tight. I intend to change them some day, but meanwhile I have them in the back.

[QUOTE=BrianW;218615. For the van, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the tool to remove the fuel filter. I carry one of those, plus an extra filter. Heater hose repair tape. .[/QUOTE]

Yup, I've got the tool, but no filter, thanks for the reminder, I'll pick one up today. And hose repair tape, great idea. I have some I'll rob from my boats damage control kit (now that list of stuff really is extensive) Thanks for the ideas.
Advanced 4wd
Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo View Post
I'm considering getting rid of all my tools, and just going to this one. Happy New Year!

That's just priceless. Happy New Year to all, now get out and find some adventure.....................
Advanced 4wd