Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

Re: White Smoke From Tailpipe

I also use the Opti-Lube summer formula. Used to use 2 stroke oil (TCW-3), but I couldn't carry enough to go to Alaska and back. I only use 2 oz of Opti-Lube per fillup (~35 gallons), so 1-2 quarts will get me anywhere, and it works the same for me.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #12

I use Opti-Lube XPD at the strongest reccomended concentration: 1/2oz. per gallon of diesel. I've been doing that for about 10,000 miles now, since I got the vehicle. I think I'll cut it down to their lowest recommended concentration of 1/4oz. per gallon at the end of winter, or perhaps try out the summer blend. I think it's a great idea to see if some additive helps your injection issues (if that's the cause), since you should probably be using some anyway.

So far I've noticed a slight increase in MPG (1-2), and the 6.0 runs noticeably quieter.

Here's an interesting comparison that was published quite a while ago in Diesel Power Magazine, from 2009 I think:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford ... ewall.html

All 6.0 engines fall in to the 'pre-2007' category, even if yours is an '08.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #13

FWIW, I have used Amsoil diesel fuel additive since new and am still on original turbo and all injectors after 70k miles.

Probably some combination of pure luck and good care. Who knows?

Is the Opti Lube available via mail order? That is one of the reasons I have stuck with Amsoil all these years.

R
Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Opti Lube is available by mail order.

http://www.opti-lube.com/

Herb
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #15

Well, the van is back at the Ford service center. The smoke from the tailpipe is white, not black like Scatter had described. I will udpate this topic again once I know more, probably in the next day or two. I'm definitely going to go back to using an additive as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #16

A quick and relatively vague update. The dealership called and said the turbo is causing the problem. I will hopefully know more tomorrow. I'm especially anxious/curious since I just had the turbo replaced (at the same dealership) about 5 months ago.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #17

Do you know if it was replaced or cleaned? Normally they would put on a re-manufactured unit. I wonder if they pay any attention refurbishing the old style turbo or the newer very slightly improved 2007+ model. In other words do they retire the old style when they come across them as cores or just pass them along to us frequent turbo consumers. Smoke has not been an indication of my past sticky vanes problems so I'll be curious to hear what they make..; I mean diagnose the problem to be.
On my next turbo problem (#5) out goes the OEM VGT.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I started using the Ford additive...don't know anything about it. Seems to be working but I guess time will tell. Here is a link to a good thread on additives but it's a bit old.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showth ... p?t=177728

I just wonder how the best rated fluids stack up to the Ford stuff?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #19

With regards to that 5 year old study mentioned above and because I was using a cousin of product #10 on the list which fell outside of the recommended specifications I did a search on Power Service Diesel Kleen and it's companion winter product. If you look here http://www.powerservice.com/faq/ under #8 PS "claims" to meet the most stringent lubricity guidelines + has a Cetane boost. Sort of vague but I'll continue to use it as it appears anything is better than nothing.

I hope there is happy news soon on the main topic of this thread!

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #20

Well, everything is fixed. It was a turbo bearing failure this time. Here are the notes from the service:

Removed exhaust down pipe, found oil present at turbo housing
Removed turbo per wsm, performed turbo bearing clearance check
Failed, out of specs, oil seals leaking
Removed and replaced chra assembly
Removed and replaced unison ring
Cleaned turbine housing vgt vanes
Reassembled turbo per wsm
Replaced hardware per wsm