Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #1

Garage
Why must I 'join' and pay more for Amsoil?

I don't get it? Why can't I just buy Amsoil products when I need them? Why is there a yearly fee to be a 'preferred customer' and be able to buy an already more expensive product? What can 'normal' customers do? I don't need a stack of catalogs and monthly magazines. This isn't the Oprah show. An oil change used to be $50. My initial Amsoil purchase was $250 just to change over and didn't include the comparable labor!

I just need a set of filters. Jeez.....

Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #2

Hey, I feel ya Jeffery...I just bought my SMB last month and it has the Amsoil set-up on it. So now I'm required to buy Amsoil stuff for the rest of the time I own the van? WTF? I thought my Diesel Mercedes $15 oil filter + 8 quarts of oil was expensive. I can't use Rotella or the Valvoline that comes in the Blue jug with the Cummins symbol on it anymore? My Benz runs fantastic on that stuff.

I haven't even priced the stuff for my super-special Amsoil oil change. But I'm going to have to do it before I head down to the Baja. $250...Thankfully diesel is finally going down.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

You don't have to become a dealer to buy it. In fact, i even posted my local friends dealer info before here so you can just order it through him. He'll sell you whatever you want, 2 filters or 50 filters and 10 cases of oil. Yes i agree it would be nice if they could offer it in the stores. If you don't want Amsoil, you can buy Royal Purple in the local Auto stores like Kragen. It's not that big of a deal since you don't have to change your oil as often. I guess us v10 guys have it a little easier.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

Why not just buy a bunch of filters from amsoil and then just run Mobil 1 Delvac. Just because you have the amsoil system does not mean that you have to run amsoil oil. Any good quality synthetic oil should be fine. I've seen some analysis (I think on dieselstop) that shows that Mobil 1 holds up better than amsoil. I think the Mobil 1 may also be a little cheaper but I don't know as I've never bought anything from amsoil.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Garage
The annual fee is to be a customer, not a dealer!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #6

huh wha? I just get my amsoil supplies from a local dealer. I... don't pay a yearly anything. OR remember hearing about a yearly anything.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
The price difference between the local parts store and what I pay isn't much. I like AMSOIL but I'm not too sure about running it for extended lengths of time but I do like the filter system (provided it's hooked up correctly). Worth the high dollar ammount I pay ...I don't know.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote