Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Re: Would you buy a 7.3 with 300k miles?

Thanks for all the replies guys, good to hear.

There's only a handful of E350 4x4 with the 7.3 which sucks compare to how easy it is to get the F serie and for much less but I'm a sucker for vans so that's how she goes.

There's another E350 4x4 but a '95 which is the older version, I'm trying to figure how much of an impact it translate on the pavement...

The other option (and very tempting) is to get an ambulance with lower mileage ('01-'03 with 150-180k miles for under $6k) and convert it 4x4.

I'd probably get the newer ('06?) axles and have coils at the front instead of leafs. I've seen a lot of happy Ujoint customers so curious if you have pros/cons with that set up?

Cheers
Mr. D

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

Ford made some changes in '97 that make for a more car-like feel in the vans. The older ones aren't bad, just a little more truck-like in the ride and steering department.

If you will doing 4x4, then it probably doesn't matter since everything will be changed out anyways, except the steering box (which is over-boosted in earlier models) and that could be swapped out too.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Ford made some changes in '97 that make for a more car-like feel in the vans. The older ones aren't bad, just a little more truck-like in the ride and steering department.

If you will doing 4x4, then it probably doesn't matter since everything will be changed out anyways, except the steering box (which is over-boosted in earlier models) and that could be swapped out too.
Do you know what kind of changes they made? Been looking for a couple months now, only 7.3L I can find within a 1000mi's is a 96 with 100k on it.
gongeuzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongeuzler
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

Do you know what kind of changes they made? Been looking for a couple months now, only 7.3L I can find within a 1000mi's is a 96 with 100k on it.
I'm not sure exactly. Many of the steering linkages have different part numbers. They all look the same, but I suspect maybe slightly different measurements, maybe better hardware at the joints. The big difference is the steering box though. Boost was reduced in '97, so they require a little more steering effort. They did this again in '08.

As older van is going to need front end work, just due to age. One thing you can do easily is drop a new take-off axle under an old van. It gives you much better brakes, better ball joints, more capacity, better sway bar setup, and much better radius arm design, and it'll cost you less than a brake job and ball joints on the original axle.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #15

Would you buy a 7.3 with 300k miles?

I decided to go for an ambulance instead of the higher mileage 4x4 one. So far I got a set of front/rear Dana60 with a transfer case out of a 2003 F350 which will all be used for my 4x4 conversion. I also decided to go with UJOR and full leafs set up. I know an ambulance isn't a SMB but I've already picked up a lot from this forum so if its tolerated I might start a proper build thread once I find the ambulance (yes, I got axles but no van! Lol). Right now I've only rebuilt the front axle and installed a Eaton e-locker. Working on the rear, mounting a Detroit locker, all on 4.10 gears.

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #16

I am looking forward to your thread
best wishes for you to find a good ambulance!
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote