Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #11

Garage
Hahaha, yep still investing in my initial investment so that one day the list of what is wrong may actually become smaller than the list of things that actually work. Ok, ok, so I may be having a bit of a low moment staring at the next check I need to write. Add wiring harness inspections to the list (with likely replacement - as I was having the same issue as you).

2019 October, 27 at 7:49pm will mark one year since my van was last towed home and left for dead in my shop. This on the heals of a transmission control sensor going bad that triggered limp home mode for nearly 400 miles. That was a painfully slow end to a dad/daughter camping trip.

My ultimate goal is to simply get into a routine where I can turn the key to the on position, pause for a few seconds, hear vigorous injector clatter, crank then start - and not preemptively have plan B and C already mapped out in my head if any of those things don't happen.

We'll see. Hopefully, I am not just trading numerous known design flaws for quality of repair/install issues.

Story will continue...

Be well,
---Bruce---

twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #12

"Hopefully, I am not just trading numerous known design flaws for quality of repair/install issues."

You are a wise man to know this is true. I put off doing the upgrades for years as I know when you tear apart something very complicated like these vans, you may fix the issues you had trouble with, but you may create other issues, large or small, that can make just as much trouble for you. My oil pressure leak was a small leak at a plumbing fitting that cost me my years vacation and a $1,000, mostly in labor. It was just a tiny leak... Sigh.

If there was one thing I could add to my van it would be an "Override" function, so that no matter what was wrong, you could hit Override and at least drive it. All those sensors and computer functions protect the engine, but can leave the human stranded.

Good luck! Hopefully we'll be out on the road together again!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

Garage
Absolutely! Thanks Brian.

Cheers,
---Bruce---
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
I actually paid for a AAA tow charge in March even though I still had two left until nov-20. Needed another tow about May and luckily haven't had to use the last one yet. Now I got a turbo underboost code even though it's running good. But got to get er smogged so back to the shop. At least I'll be able to drive it there...I hope.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #15

Garage
Hey Dave. Living the 6.0 PSD dream.

Cheers,
---Bruce---