Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Railvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 207
Your experience after a 6.0 "Bulletproofing"?

For those who have a Ford 6.0 diesel, and have had some level of "Bulletproofing" done, what has been your experience since having the work done? What did you have done, and has there ben any problems or issues since the work?

I'm trying to rebuild my confidence in the van after having several issues that have caused trips to be cut short or cancelled.

Thanks,

Brian
__________________

__________________
https://www.pbase.com/railvan
2006 Ford RB, 6.0 diesel, SMB 4x4, RB50
Railvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ree-know, nuh-vah-duh
Posts: 200
Garage
How much doya want to know!!
Our engine is essentially a Stage 1 KDD = https://killdevildiesel.com/collecti...oke-long-block

We've been thru two rounds of failed injectors in <6,000 miles, so there's that...
We missed Overland Expo 2019 becuz the engine builder didn't know how to build an engine.
We would have missed OE 2020 becuz someone didn't install a blue spring for a new engine...or doesn't like regulated returns.

best upgrades for a 6.0:

1. Edge CTS3 monitor or equivalent.
*** the CTS3 can monitor 16 sensors!!


2. Tuning

3. Regulated return for the fuel system.
*** this allows the fuel another path of exit instead of only thru the injectors. plus this allows more precise control of fuel pressure than a spring.

4. Hydraulic brake booster (it's what the E450 came with and should have been a standard upgrade from SMB)
***this eliminates the issues resulting from a vacuum pump failure.

5. Transmission cooler upgrade and/or relocate
6. Power steering cooler upgrade and/or relocate
7. Removing as much stuff from in front of the radiator + intercooler as possible + Zeta's under bumper scoop (not yet done).
*** increasing airflow = better ability to regulate temps

8. Odawg intake + zylstra MAF+filter + custom air intake (not yet done)
*** cooler intake air = better performance.

9. ceramic coated up pipes + exhaust manifolds (BD Diesel - to be done soon) + turbo (not yet done)
*** retains exhaust heat better than heat shields http://madcustomcoating.com/wp-conte...HeatShield.pdf

yet to be done:
>> modified a/c condensor to allow more airflow to reach radiator + intercooler
>> upgraded radiator - all aluminum
>> custom intercooler
>> water/meth injection??
>> 1-inch body lift
>> separate transmission cooler from radiator.

What are the issues?
__________________

__________________
Chris
2006 E350 4x4 SMB: 6.0L-5R110-Atlas-D60-D60-yada-yada-yada
unreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,708
Garage
I put in a new engine mid way through 2015, had all the bullet proofing done prior to installing the engine. Have not had any issues except a short from the engine wiring harness that we discovered and fixed (but that was the only thing I didn’t replace at that time simply because it wasn’t an item that had been pointed to to do at that time). I did have the turbo tube blow off once that caused me to have the van towed). I recently replaced the turbo - had not done this when I put the engine in because previous owner said he had done it just prior to my purchase.
Other than these the engine has performed famously in last 65K Miles I’ve had it.
***Believe the trick to keep the 6.0 happy is in religious fluid changes along with the oil additive, and fuel additives with each fill up...same thing pretty much everyone would encourage you to do.
I did struggle with temps because my Van is heavy (11,800lbs when loaded - so it worked hard than most). Coolant & Oil temps were hovering higher than average, and found the solution with installing a “low temp” Mishimoto thermostat and having a 5-Star tune that engages the fan earlier.

I agree creating better engine compartment venting will help (hood and fender type vents) I just have not pursued this as of yet.

I also completed the Hydroboost brake upgrade, along with larger rotors, and that has made a huge difference!!!
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Hey guys, new to this sportsmobile world and just starting to figure out what I need/want. First question is would you recommend the 6.0? I should be able to get one with decent miles at a decent price through a family member with Texas Dealer License via the auction, so I would be willing to throw some money at the engine. I am still up in the air between the Diesel and 5.4 so any input would be appreciated. Second, I will not be able to convert to 4x4 but instead plan on a 6" lift with a rear locker of some type so do you guys have any experience with these lifted vans with only lockers and their capabilities. I currently use an old 4x4 ZJ Grand Cherokee with a lift and tires but most of the camping I do does not require 4x4...just clearance and good tread so I imagine a lifted van with a locker could get to the same places my jeep does in 2WD. Third, how much difference is there in gas mileage between the gas and diesel engine? I read through posts on the web and they are all over the place. Some people claim they are getting well over 20 mpg on the freeway and some say 10-12. What do you guys get with the lift and tires?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnm View Post
Hey guys, new to this sportsmobile world and just starting to figure out what I need/want. First question is would you recommend the 6.0? I should be able to get one with decent miles at a decent price through a family member with Texas Dealer License via the auction, so I would be willing to throw some money at the engine. I am still up in the air between the Diesel and 5.4 so any input would be appreciated. Second, I will not be able to convert to 4x4 but instead plan on a 6" lift with a rear locker of some type so do you guys have any experience with these lifted vans with only lockers and their capabilities. I currently use an old 4x4 ZJ Grand Cherokee with a lift and tires but most of the camping I do does not require 4x4...just clearance and good tread so I imagine a lifted van with a locker could get to the same places my jeep does in 2WD. Third, how much difference is there in gas mileage between the gas and diesel engine? I read through posts on the web and they are all over the place. Some people claim they are getting well over 20 mpg on the freeway and some say 10-12. What do you guys get with the lift and tires?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
The 6.0 is infamous for having issues but the internet seems to inflame issues on anything.

The general idea I get is that if you do an EGR delete, oil cooler replace, remote coolant filter, blue spring mod, light (40hp ish) tune, and change the fluids religiously then you should be ok. The downside is that you could still have an issue and if you do it will probably be expensive if you are out on the road when it happens. If you stay close to home that might not matter as much.

I just bought a 6.0 but already have it apart cleaning the turbo. Still not sure how it compares in power but it should pull much better than the 5.4. I have had a 5.4 for about 5 years. Empty he had some go to it. Now that it is heavy the "go" has gone". It's ok but sucks in the mtns. Also people talk the 5.4 never had issues. In general, I think it is more reliable than the 6.0 but I blew mine up on the way home from a long road trip. Fortunately I could limo home the last 200 miles with a major knock. Only had 125k miles on the engine. Replaced it myself for $4500.

IMO, the "grail" engine in Econolines is the 6.8l v10. Better power, more reliable than 6.0, and the better 5 speed trans that the 5.4 doesn't have (it gets a 4spd).

Vans are heavy so they won't go where a 2wd jeep or truck will. We have taken ours a lot of places but we remember what we are in. A locker and all terrains will certainly help.

Reported mileages are always a bit b.s. to me. Everyone wants to claim super high or super low numbers. I highly doubt the 20mpg claims of the diesel. I think a more honest mileage would be 16-17mpg. I know that with our pretty heavy 2wd 5.4 van on 32" tires we have averaged around 14mpg (gps calculated) with a light foot. Have seen as low as 11.5mpg. a lift and big tires will definitely affect those numbers,maybe a little less on the 6.0
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
deserteagle56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle of Nevada
Posts: 166
When I started looking for a van 13 years ago my heart was set on the diesel. But as it happened I got a great buy on a V10 rig so I bought it. Looking back now, I'm glad I ended up with the V10. It has been trouble free except for needing a brake sensor that was causing intermittent cruise control problems...that, and it doesn't get over 12 mpg. All the power I'll ever need.
Places I take my van dependability is paramount. Dependability is not the 6.0 Powerstroke's strong point!
__________________
Worshipper of Wild Country
2007 Quigley V-10 on 33s with 4.56 gears (Toyhauler)
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Livermore, Ca.
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnm View Post
Hey guys, new to this sportsmobile world and just starting to figure out what I need/want. First question is would you recommend the 6.0? I should be able to get one with decent miles at a decent price through a family member with Texas Dealer License via the auction, so I would be willing to throw some money at the engine. I am still up in the air between the Diesel and 5.4 so any input would be appreciated. Second, I will not be able to convert to 4x4 but instead plan on a 6" lift with a rear locker of some type so do you guys have any experience with these lifted vans with only lockers and their capabilities. I currently use an old 4x4 ZJ Grand Cherokee with a lift and tires but most of the camping I do does not require 4x4...just clearance and good tread so I imagine a lifted van with a locker could get to the same places my jeep does in 2WD. Third, how much difference is there in gas mileage between the gas and diesel engine? I read through posts on the web and they are all over the place. Some people claim they are getting well over 20 mpg on the freeway and some say 10-12. What do you guys get with the lift and tires?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
I would recommend a 6.0 diesel if you don't mind putting the time and money it takes to make it "reliable". If you pick up a stock one at a good price and don't tune it and monitor all the vitals & stay on top of the maintenance then you should be good. I had the van for 5 years and it's only when I tuned it last year where I blew the head gaskets, but in honestly I was hoping to do it to get my wife to agree to my major overhaul. . But If I had to do it again, and knowing what i know now, I would still take the 6.0 over the gasser. I just love the sound of a diesel and that new turbo whistle.

I have a 2006 High top 4x4 running on 35's with 4.10 gearing. It weighs about 10K lbs fully loaded. Prior to any mods I was getting 10-13 MPG and now after doing all the work I'm averaging 15-17 in town and 17~19 Highway

I'm using Innovative diesel tunes and I run their custom Performance tune where I'm seeing the best results as a daily driver but I'm still working with them on getting it dialed even more. I'm asking for a third version of a custom tune.

Btw, here's the thread that I started 2 months ago before the major surgery.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ist-26768.html
ucsundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
twolost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: WA (USA)
Posts: 413
Garage
Hey Brian, I am looking to have my 2007 6.0 'fixed' in November. I am going all-in (engine out) and while there I want all of the known issues that inhibit reliability and longevity taken care of. I am currently working with Plateau Diesel in Enumclaw, WA to do the work. Appointment is already scheduled but I want one more interview with them (in person) before I hand over the keys. I have also been communicating with the Bulletproof Diesel folks to see what they think as well. My van is currently in a no start when hot condition (and it barely builds enough oil pressure to rattle the injectors and fire when cold). PD wants $700.00 to diagnose the current issue. Previous two issues were broken screen in IPR valve and split turbo hose. Regardless of the root cause of this current issue, the engine is coming out and we are starting over. No more tow trucks (at least for known engine related deficiencies)!


Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/adventure)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
How much doya want to know!!
Our engine is essentially a Stage 1 KDD = https://killdevildiesel.com/collecti...oke-long-block

We've been thru two rounds of failed injectors in <6,000 miles, so there's that...
We missed Overland Expo 2019 becuz the engine builder didn't know how to build an engine.
We would have missed OE 2020 becuz someone didn't install a blue spring for a new engine...or doesn't like regulated returns.

best upgrades for a 6.0:

1. Edge CTS3 monitor or equivalent.
*** the CTS3 can monitor 16 sensors!!


2. Tuning

3. Regulated return for the fuel system.
*** this allows the fuel another path of exit instead of only thru the injectors. plus this allows more precise control of fuel pressure than a spring.

4. Hydraulic brake booster (it's what the E450 came with and should have been a standard upgrade from SMB)
***this eliminates the issues resulting from a vacuum pump failure.

5. Transmission cooler upgrade and/or relocate
6. Power steering cooler upgrade and/or relocate
7. Removing as much stuff from in front of the radiator + intercooler as possible + Zeta's under bumper scoop (not yet done).
*** increasing airflow = better ability to regulate temps

8. Odawg intake + zylstra MAF+filter + custom air intake (not yet done)
*** cooler intake air = better performance.

9. ceramic coated up pipes + exhaust manifolds (BD Diesel - to be done soon) + turbo (not yet done)
*** retains exhaust heat better than heat shields http://madcustomcoating.com/wp-conte...HeatShield.pdf

yet to be done:
>> modified a/c condensor to allow more airflow to reach radiator + intercooler
>> upgraded radiator - all aluminum
>> custom intercooler
>> water/meth injection??
>> 1-inch body lift
>> separate transmission cooler from radiator.

What are the issues?

I have just about all of these mods. With an Atlas40 FICM tune and 80HP PCM tune from PHP I'm making at or close to 400HP. Operating temps are fine but killing the kitty is helpful in reducing EGTs.

With regard to air flow I don't see how adding a bigger tranny cooler and/or moving the old cooler to replace the power steering cooler actually improves air flow through the radiator?

I'm interesting in any improvements to the air box which seems woefully inadequate to me but there are no aftermarket options. I'm also going to swap out turbos when the new stage 1 KCturbo comes out next spring. The stage 1.5 is has too much lag at a full stop and no amount of tuning has cleaned it up. I've tried tunes from Gearhead, Innovative, TSD, and Power Hungry Performance.
__________________
2005 E350 RB 6.0 PSD for extended fun
1989 Landcruiser FJ62 for local fun
2011 VW TDI Golf for hwy fun
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Railvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolost View Post
Hey Brian, I am looking to have my 2007 6.0 'fixed' in November. I am going all-in (engine out) and while there I want all of the known issues that inhibit reliability and longevity taken care of. I am currently working with Plateau Diesel in Enumclaw, WA to do the work. Appointment is already scheduled but I want one more interview with them (in person) before I hand over the keys. I have also been communicating with the Bulletproof Diesel folks to see what they think as well. My van is currently in a no start when hot condition (and it barely builds enough oil pressure to rattle the injectors and fire when cold). PD wants $700.00 to diagnose the current issue. Previous two issues were broken screen in IPR valve and split turbo hose. Regardless of the root cause of this current issue, the engine is coming out and we are starting over. No more tow trucks (at least for known engine related deficiencies)!


Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/adventure)
Hi Bruce,

Good to hear from you. Still slogging that same old van, eh? :^) My short advice to anyone doing the 6.0 upgrade is pay close attention to all wiring harnesses and change them if you can. I know I told you the story about the transmission harness being the cause of months of trouble. Also, my one major road trip failure since the upgrades was due to a leak in a Tee fitting. With all the computer sensors on modern vehicles, the system would not start due to low pressure and I was stuck a long ways from home. I had to get a rental car and head home. A local shop fixed it several weeks later and I had to go fetch the van. So much for vacation last year. It cost a bundle to fix the leak too as it was buried deep enough that there was lots of labor to change a cheap part. And, yes, I still own the van. I'm an idiot... :^)
__________________

__________________
https://www.pbase.com/railvan
2006 Ford RB, 6.0 diesel, SMB 4x4, RB50
Railvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×