Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 11:22 PM   #1

Garage
3-Way Frig in 100+f temps?

We were wishing for a highly efficient yet quiet refrigerator for our van to replace the 19 year old Norcold Tek II DE-451 1.9cf unit we now have. The alternatives to the 2-way all electric compressor type like we have now seems to be either a propane system or the so-called absorption units. Are these gas frig's all quieter than the electric models? Most of the time I don't mind the hum of the frig motor running but sometimes it can get irritating. Ours comes on a lot now, probably a sign to replace.

Do the propane frig models all require parking level? How many degrees of tilt will they allow for?

Also, anything using LPG requires a pilot light. We use the van a lot for landsailing and often have the van doors open wide with a ton of breeze blowing through. Do any of you using gas frig's have issues with the pilot light blowing out in windy conditions?

Thanks!
Scott

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #2

Yes, an absorption fridge must be level, within a certain range. They tolerate more in one plane than the other. Side to side can only tolerate 3 degrees (in reference to the fridge, not the rig) but can tolerate 6 degrees front to back.

The burner makes a tiny about a noise, but it's nearly imperceivable. You can also hear the ignitor click when it lights, but it's also not very loud. There is no pilot. I've never had any issues with wind. I run mine while driving using gas-mode.

My exterior fridge has a built-in circulation fan, because the back of the fridge is inside the trailer. Also barely perceivable. But it does add a little amp draw, but I don't know what I'd guess 1-2.

In DC mode, it sucks down the amps pretty fast. Looks like around 12 amps. I only run it on DC mode if I'm out of propane and driving, so the alternator can keep the batteries charged.

Biggest downside to an absorption fridge IMO is needing to add vents to the side of the van. Besides being a potential leak, they aren't attractive, and can ruin any pretenses of having a stealth van.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
So that brings up a good point, it sounds like the 3-way fridges are not nearly as efficient running on DC as a straight DC (12V) fridge? I think my Truckfridge TF130 runs at 2.5A, easily replenished with solar throughout the day.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #4

^Absorption units are definitely not as effecient. The whole "stuff stuff up to make things cold" process causes quite a bit of efficiency loss. These were all designed around a gas-flame heat source, and there's so much energy in small amount of gas, it doesn't matter. Until you introduce an electric heat source. Which is also fine if you're plugged in. But it just isn't the best option if you plan on running primarily on 12v DC.

Also, when temps get really hot, I do have trouble with my inside (8 cubic foot?) fridge keeping cold. Ice cream sometimes gets soft in hot weather. Although never had trouble with the outside one making ice. Probably has more to do with the exterior fridge having the booster fan, but I also wouldn't surprised if the guts are shared between the 2.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Maybe you misunderstood....my point was trying to compare the efficiency of both a 3-way, running off of 12V battery power vs. a dedicated 12V unit running on the same 12V battery power. I believe the dedicated 12V unit would be more efficient between the two when running on DC.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Maybe you misunderstood....my point was trying to compare the efficiency of both a 3-way, running off of 12V battery power vs. a dedicated 12V unit running on the same 12V battery power. I believe the dedicated 12V unit would be more efficient between the two when running on DC.
A 12-volt compressor fridge is certainly FAR more efficient, since your only loses are at the motor. An absorption fridge doesn't use a compressor or pump. The 12-volt operation is just a resistive heat element.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #7

Compressor Fridges are vastly more efficient. Yours may need service or upgrade. Aside from frequent cycling, is your primary complaint the noise of the compressor?

Depending on how far you want to go, there are some steps (some simple, some less-so) one can take to quiet things down:
  • Reduce compressor cycling noise by changing to a quieter cooling fan (on my unit the PC-style pancake fan that cools the coils is at least as noisy as the compressor itself)
  • Add sound insulation in the back of the cabinet to muffle compressor sounds
  • Reduce compressor cycling by adding thermal efficiency (additional thermal insulation, DC circulating fan inside the fridge, etc.)
  • Adjust compressor RPMs (add/modify the setting resistors on the control module - no soldering usually)*
  • Change compressor cycling behavior by replacing the built-in controller with something like a PID controller where you have a lot more control over temperature hysteresis, etc.

* Here's the Danfoss manual with the resistor values to change RPMs
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #8

Garage
Herb, a lot of it is the noise, which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen so often. Which brings us back to the beginning. We've also had electrical issues lately where the house battery has about run dry and have had to turn the frig down way low or run the engine at 3am to recharge; obviously another issue that we're dealing with now (starting with new battery and more solar). But the power issues got me to thinking that with a 20 year old frig the odds are the newer ones are more energy efficient (?) and hopefully quieter.
I am also gathering that there is only one type of LPG frig, that being the absorption type. Is this correct?
Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
IMHO a 20 year old refrigeration system--especially something in a vehicle setting--is most likely in dire need of service such as a refrigerant (aka Freon) recharging.

I'd pursue that avenue first rather than do a major re-fit of your existing build. I would think most RV, shuttle bus or limousine service facilities could do this for you.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Garage
We have had 3 different 3-way refrigerators.

First, you would never run it on 12 volt unless underway. It is meant to be used on propane or 120 volt when parked. So the battery usage very low.

I can run on propane for days if not weeks.

It DOES struggle in hot weather.