Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: AC/DC Fridge vs DC only.

If I'm only running the inverter for a limited time I don't even worry about tripping the breaker off. I mean the fridge only cycles now and then anyway. If I'm on the road I also don't worry about it; the alternator is charging. To tell the truth about the only time I use the big inverter is when the micro is running...during long run times I usually have the engine running anyway. For the little things that run for hours I have a few small standalone inverters.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Another twist to consider...
Our AC/DC Norcold fridge has a Danfoss compressor. The compressor runs 'natively' on 12 VDC. So, when you're running off the coach inverter there are two conversions involved:
12 VDC to 120 VAC by the coach inverter
and then 120 VAC back to 12 VDC by the converter in the fridge to run the compressor

I also used an ammeter to check current draw. The fridge uses less current running off DC.

Net: I pulled the fridge out and unplugged the AC cord. I run the fridge on DC only.

Regards,
Alan
COkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by COkid
Net: I pulled the fridge out and unplugged the AC cord. I run the fridge on DC only.
I put a switch on my fridge outlet so that I can have it on 120v when on shore power.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I put a switch on my fridge outlet so that I can have it on 120v when on shore power.
Hasn't your SMB been on shore power for 2-3 years now?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Hasn't your SMB been on shore power for 2-3 years now?

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
I guess there could also be a way to wire the refrigerator (AC/DC one) so that when on shorepower it would run from 110, and when on inverter/battery it would run on DC, but my brain is feeling overstretched at the moment I only have a charger (not inverter) so have not figured this out for my own rig.

I suppose that you could wire a dedicated 110V receptacle for the fridge directly from the shore power inlet (before the transfer switch) with a appropriate breaker. It would be completely separate from the 110V inverter outlets and would only be live when plugged into shore power.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #17

boywonder
I think we could call that "Best Practice". The simplest solution is to just pull the refrigerator 110 ac plug.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #18

I have the AC/DC truck fridge in my van. I like having the option to plug in just the fridge when I'm parked at home between big trips. I am not wired for shore power, just 300 watts of solar. Taking the fridge off the batteries at night seems like a good thing

I still drive the van once or twice a week to go surf so it always has cold beers in the fridge. I'm really pleased with the quality of the truck fridge. Very quiet and its only pulling about 5 Amps when its duty cycling.

Thumbs up for the AC option
Brett218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
I guess there could also be a way to wire the refrigerator (AC/DC one) so that when on shorepower it would run from 110, and when on inverter/battery it would run on DC, but my brain is feeling overstretched at the moment I only have a charger (not inverter) so have not figured this out for my own rig.

I suppose that you could wire a dedicated 110V receptacle for the fridge directly from the shore power inlet (before the transfer switch) with a appropriate breaker. It would be completely separate from the 110V inverter outlets and would only be live when plugged into shore power.
At least a dedicated outlet would be a good backup for the fridge (or anything else) just as protection if the transfer switch in the inverter fails. But I have solar and the DC fridge can run that way until I get back. One thing I won't do on a regular basis is to over run and put hours on my expensive inverter. Besides time and use, letting my inverter operate in temps that commonly jump to 120* during the day is not something I want to do. The inverter is off when the transfer switch is closed. I've had my inverter trip due to high heat while in use. There is a reason why they have fans in them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #20

exactly how much of a delta is there between running it off ac vs dc?

still trying to figure out best options. I did end up buying the ac/dc version of the truckfridge.
I may just keep dc unplugged for now until i find a permanent solution.

i like jages idea of using a switch and also boy wonder's suggestion to wire in a separate 110v outlet direct from shore power connection.

i've got solar panels delivered today and i'm off to death valley for a week on my first trip in the van so will have a better understanding of my needs after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COkid
Another twist to consider...
Our AC/DC Norcold fridge has a Danfoss compressor. The compressor runs 'natively' on 12 VDC. So, when you're running off the coach inverter there are two conversions involved:
12 VDC to 120 VAC by the coach inverter
and then 120 VAC back to 12 VDC by the converter in the fridge to run the compressor

I also used an ammeter to check current draw. The fridge uses less current running off DC.

Regards,
Alan
rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote