Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Advice on Espar Heater Install into 03' EB E350 7.3L

Hey Folks,

I'm seeking advice on installing a new Espar S2-D2L heater into my 2003 EB E350 w/7.3L diesel - that was converted to RB50 floorplan by SMB West in 2008, including 4x4 (so the fuel tank has been downsized to fit the xfer case). I'll attach a few pics of interior. Ive watched several install videos on YouTube but they are all for Sprinters, ugh! (sorry I'm old school and love the older Econoline aesthetics). If you know of Econoline heater install videos, please share! I have a good handle on the general install process, just not specifically to this van body style.

Specifically, any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:

1.) The best interior location(s)/tips to consider installing the heater unit, along with electrical and exhaust routing, etc.

2.) The crux of this project really seems to be how to tap into the diesel fuel tank - including dropping the tank, and installing a pick-up pipe. So any advice on how to do best install that into the tank would be fabulous! This is the part that intimidates me!

Thanks in advance for any and all tips!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
SMB_Interior_Rear Seat View.jpeg   SMB_Rear Area View.jpeg   20200524-IMG_7484.jpg  

AdventureStorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

Great build - the separated / isolated cargo area in back looks awesome!

I'd suggest installing the heater similar to how mine is - under the seat, drawing cool air from the back. Can you post a pic of what's under the seat? At a glance, it looks like the best place would be on the blank panel between the breaker panel and the underseat access door. One duct blasting into the main cabin will keep you plenty warm, although be mindful of this: my Espar blasts out such high temperature heat, I've had to be careful not to leave anything on the floor in front of it. I once shrunk and melted a pair of hiking shoes.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #3

Garage
I put mine next to the drivers side rear wheel well. I’ve seen Sportsmobile put them in the same spot in some of their builds also. I dropped my fuel tank and installed a pickup line in one of the existing holes on top of the tank. It would be a good time to replace the main fuel pickup and filter.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #4

Installed mine under back seat as well... same location as BVerhulst. Great spot and not much ducting work. Dropping our 46 gal Transfer Flow fuel tank was a b*tch. A couple of floor jacks, an extra set of hands and a positive attitude needed but well worth the effort. I can post pics of heater location tomorrow if you'd like.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies and suggestions comrades, much appreciated! I don't have pics looking under the back seat, but it has all the electronics and water tank. There would be room by the driver's wheel well, so that's a leading contender to mount the heater.

Rizzabove - thanks for the pics, very helpful. So do i understand correctly that your pickup line (on left in your picture) utilized an existing tank hole, so you didn't have to drill one? That would be nice if my tank also has an aux hole available.

Thanks again gentlemen.
AdventureStorys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #6

Garage
Yes. I have a Ford oem tank and it had a spare hole on top with a white plug in it. I used the espar metal pickup tube and trimmed it to length. It’s a good idea to run your fuel tank as low as your comfort able with our syphon it dry to drop it down. I looked at installing my heater under my bench also but I had zero access from underneath due to the heat shield.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

I think I probably know the answer. Does the heater have a pump to draw fuel from the tank?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Garage
Yes. It’s a small inline pump.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

We installed it behind driver seat, integrated it into kitchen block.
Have a y-splitter (runs through kitchen block) to blow how air in between the 2 front seats, and the other end blows hot air to the back seat area.

Note: we have a custom kitchen block.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #10

Here is a link with some images before the kitchen block was built.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ter-19724.html
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
espar, espar d2, heater, heater install