Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

Aftermarket seats?

SMB-ers,

I am looking at options for the second row seats for my on-order-EB-52.

SMB West offers captains seats but they weren't quite what we were looking to find.

Perhaps we have been spoiled by a minivan but we would like something that recline, folds flat, folds up, swivels and slides forward/back and side/side. If not all of these, we would like at least two of the above
We also rather the seat belt to be attached so we don't have the belts attached to the ceiling.

Unfortunately, SMB only offers the one type of captain chair.

Do any of you have suggestions?

I have found websites for Freedman which have a fold up and stow away versions and there are others that fold forward from Corbeau.

Any recommendations or experience from the gallery?

BTW I have three options.

1. Go with the SMB seats.
2. Buy an aftermarket one as described above.
3. Go to a junkyard and buy a minivan seat and have it mounted into the van. Yes, you can make fun of the minivans but they are pretty comfortable and convenient:-)

As always, thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have any recommendations for the seats you're truly looking for, but if you decide to go with SMB Captain's seats, I have three extra ones, slightly used, in leather. I believe them to be typical SMB seats, in that they recline (though not even close to flat), they can swivel, and the can move back and forth a few inches.

If they don't match the decor, you could have them recovered or used something like Wet Okole seat covers.

Herb
Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #3

Seats

When we designed our van in 2002, we wanted a removable rear bench seat. Employ it when we needed passenger space, and take it out when we wanted to haul gear...same as the current Transformer concept.

At that time, however, SMB for liability reasons would not install removable seats. I investigated seat options and at first planned to put in two 2nd row seats from a Chevy Tahoe. These are single removable seats with integrated seatbelts. I purchased 2 fairly inexpensive new seats on eBay, but ran into difficulties trying to design and fabricate a base mount that would be at the proper height and have the necessary receiving hardware for the seat. This would be a slick solution if done well.

In the end, I found a van company in Gardena, CA that was in the business of fabricating rear bench seats for a variety of vehicles. They easily built a seat to fit in our van, upholstered appropriately, that is light-weight with integrated lap-belts plus babyseat latches (for our 2 kids), that can simply be bolted down in 5" or removed by a single person in the same amount of time.

This has worked very well for us....but alas, it does not fold or slide.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

Walt

ps. I still have one of the Tahoe seats if you want it.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
I considered these...

http://www.littleseats.com/

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

Herb,

Thanks for the offer but for now, until I get frustrated, I'm going to try and find something closer to the basic minivan seat or a fold up stash away style.

Mmocken,

Thanks for the pointer. I will give them a call.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #6

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
your welcome...

Little seats are expensive, but appear to be well thought out and safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
Herb,

Thanks for the offer but for now, until I get frustrated, I'm going to try and find something closer to the basic minivan seat or a fold up stash away style.

Mmocken,

Thanks for the pointer. I will give them a call.

-Mark

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

Re: Aftermarket seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
SMB-ers,

I am looking at options for the second row seats for my on-order-EB-52.

SMB West offers captains seats but they weren't quite what we were looking to find.

Perhaps we have been spoiled by a minivan but we would like something that recline, folds flat, folds up, swivels and slides forward/back and side/side. If not all of these, we would like at least two of the above
We also rather the seat belt to be attached so we don't have the belts attached to the ceiling.

Unfortunately, SMB only offers the one type of captain chair.

Do any of you have suggestions?

I have found websites for Freedman which have a fold up and stow away versions and there are others that fold forward from Corbeau.

Any recommendations or experience from the gallery?

BTW I have three options.

1. Go with the SMB seats.
2. Buy an aftermarket one as described above.
3. Go to a junkyard and buy a minivan seat and have it mounted into the van. Yes, you can make fun of the minivans but they are pretty comfortable and convenient:-)

As always, thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

-Mark

Bringing this thread back from the depths.

I'm hoping the OP is still around and can give some input on what type of fold down/sofa/bench seat you installed. I'm trying to do the same and looking for similar features.

Justin
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

I wasn't around when this thread was originally posted, but there's nothing bad to say about minivan seats. I would strongly recommend going with a matching set (front and rear) from a junkyard. The yards in my part of the world are full of late model domestic minivans, and the seats on the Ford Windstars (which are good for absolutely nothing but the seats) are often a match with the full size Ford van interiors, and the mounted seatbelts may even work.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

MGMetalworks has an adapter he makes and sells for Toyota Sienna seats. Looks really slick and well designed and many have spoken highly of them. Sounds like it could get you exactly where you want to be.

This viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16292&hilit=Sienna+seats will give you an idea of what they are like but just do a search here for "Sienna seats".
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote