Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

Airbag light and seat plug wires...

Now the Dealership tells me the airbag light is "a pre tensioner" they can't get until Wednesday next week. I did note that they moved the passenger seat around (it was jacked all the way forward when we got the van back) but didn't connect these wires.

Passenger Side:
The disconnected Plug:

The tip... looks like two wires? Hmmm....

Base goes into the floor:

Now THESE two wires are on the SEAT side...

Here's where they go into the seat:

So do I plug the two wires in and see if the airbag light goes off, or take it to the dealership and let them plug the wires in, tell me it was a tensioner thingy and then scream bloody murder?

Again, I KNOW they looked at these wires because the seat was jacked all the way forward and both wires were tucked away nicely...

Just for the record, this is the Driver Side unplugged wire and routing:

Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #2

Garage
If there was some way for you to find a service manual or a wiring schematic, assuming that all those wires shown are stock Ford, then you can figure out what they do yourself. You're pretty handy. Perhaps a Ford authorized repair shop or a shop that specializes in auto electric can help with some advice on the cheap.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

I can say that those wires disconnected will result in the light to come on. I can remember turning the seat and pulling it out resulting in the light coming on. I put it all back together and the light never went away. I assume it was because the error had to be cleared in the computer. Shortly after that, it was at the ford dealer for some other problems and they told me that they fixed the error. Since I was happy to be up and running (nine days later), I never asked a lot of questions about the seat problem. But just putting the wires back in would not clear the light.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #4

Well under the "seat belt warranty" fixing the airbag problem is free so it's not the money, it's more the time involved.

Anyone know how to disable the passenger airbag, while we're on the subject...?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

Since I'm linking to this post I'll put in an update.

The wires were extended by SMB Texas while they were doing extra work and reconnected. In order to reset the airbag light they disconnected the batteries for 10 minutes. They made the wires really long, however you should pick a direction to swivel the seat and always turn to that side (I find feet towards engine hump is the easiest).

Apparently they are the seat belt tensioner for the airbag- if the seat belt is connected then it will contract momentarily before the airbag goes off, attempting to get the passenger/driver as far back as possible.

This is all word of mouth, so subject to interpritation. The airbag light has remained off since visiting Austin, so I haven't thought too much about it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #6

Re: Airbag light and seat plug wires...

Swiveled the pass seat yesterday and yanked the wires out of the plug. I reinserted the wires but the light stays on now. May main concern is whether or not the air bag is now disabled. Not clear on the previous comments if this is the case. Anyone have an idea? I assume the wires go to a sensor/switch in the seat and tell the computer when someone is sitting there.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #7

jage,
We had the same code on our 04 SMB a few weeks ago. It was due to the chord being twisted around the seat base to far. I reconnected the wires and the code was cleared by a shop in Moab. No problem since then, especially since my wife is now in charge of seat swivel operations.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

SO what was the original resolution way back when...????
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #9

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Since I'm linking to this post I'll put in an update.

The wires were extended by SMB Texas while they were doing extra work and reconnected. In order to reset the airbag light they disconnected the batteries for 10 minutes. They made the wires really long, however you should pick a direction to swivel the seat and always turn to that side (I find feet towards engine hump is the easiest).

Apparently they are the seat belt tensioner for the airbag- if the seat belt is connected then it will contract momentarily before the airbag goes off, attempting to get the passenger/driver as far back as possible.

This is all word of mouth, so subject to interpritation. The airbag light has remained off since visiting Austin, so I haven't thought too much about it.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was doing a search and came across this thread.

I have this same issues now. Last week, my airbag plug came undone which I promptly reconnected but my airbag light is still on. I took the van to the dealer to have the 30K service done and they wanted $300 for a new connector. Now that my connector is reconnected, I wanted to try resetting the light by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes as mentioned above but wanted to make sure I didn't damage anything else by having the battery disconnected. I have a 2006 350 EB with a trip-lite and 2 house batteries. I would hope that just disconnecting the starter battery would reset the light and not damage the inverter but thought I'd check.

Thanks for any advice!
8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to stiggs Send a message via AIM to stiggs

I had this problem turned out i yanked the wires out reconnected and problem solved