Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

All my screws are pulling loose!

Over the years, I'm finding myself frustrated with a whole mess of interior screws stripping and pulling loose. These are wood/metal screws sunk into wood or plastic.

Curtain ties, penthouse shade, curtain rod (fixed with new hole/screw):

Penthouse bed hangers. Here are a couple ugly rushed "fixes" of mine: Bigger wood screws, and a bolt/plate combination I hacked together when my bigger wood screw/anchor combination finally pulled out too:

Drawer face: Look at all the wood screws Sportsmobile used to make this drawer. Half of them are stripped, and two were already missing when the van was new:

Cabinet door hinges. I've already placed larger screws into these:

Even the front penthouse latch receivers are internally bolted to a piece of wood held in place with a couple of wood screws. (I'll post the story later of opening that up after the wood screws snapped.)

Once these screws have stripped out, it's not always obvious to me how to repair them. I've screwed around with half-ass fixes such as larger screws, filling/shrinking/gluing the holes, using nut & bolts, using anchors. Nothing works great. What about rivets, I wonder?

FYI, here are a couple discussions/ideas I've found here on the Forum...
Anyway, I have no real pearls of wisdom here, but I just wanted to vent -- and see who shares my problem, and perhaps hear about some good fix ideas.

-- Geoff

Old 10-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: All my screws are pulling loose!

I totally rebuilt my side door galley--the piano hinges had all pulled out--by using JB Weld in the screw holes. I've also epoxied threaded inserts into wood for strength. http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-LOK-Threaded- ... ood+insert They have more surface area for the glue to grip the soft wood.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
I've also epoxied threaded inserts into wood for strength. http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-LOK-Threaded- ... ood+insert They have more surface area for the glue to grip the soft wood.
Those threaded inserts look like a great idea for soft wood -- thanks!

I will also try rivets for the thin plastic that the curtains are screwed into.

-- Geoff
Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Team

I now have a collection in my cup holder of five screws I have found on the floor of my SMB. I don't have a clue as to where they came from. I figure something will eventually fall down and reveal where the screws go.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
I now have a collection in my cup holder of five screws I have found on the floor of my SMB. I don't have a clue as to where they came from. I figure something will eventually fall down and reveal where the screws go.
Yes, I have a few screws I have found rolling around the back of the van also - no idea where they came from. . . But then I have had more than a few loose screws ever since I hit that tree while skiing back in '02. . .
edroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

maybe lose screws caused you to hit that tree (sorry but you left your self open for that )

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Over the years, I'm finding myself frustrated with a whole mess of interior screws stripping and pulling loose. These are wood/metal screws sunk into wood or plastic.
All of the screws you posted look like sheet metal screws, not wood screws. They will never work for wood or plastic over time. The wood is MDF, they do make MDF screws that will work 10x better, but even with MDF screws that can be challenging on face joint, as Zeta posted you might be best off epoxying in an insert and using that IF you only have one surface to use or a bolt if you don't care about the looks of other side. Plastic would be fine with the correct plastic screw, but since that screw for the curtain may get some force applied, I'd be inclined to use a wood screw and place a piece of backing wood behind the plastic panel. (or a bolt again). Don't use self tapping sheet metal screws in anything other than sheet metal, the thread is too fine, and hole cut with no expansion/friction to hold the screw in place.

MDF Screw

Plastic Screrw

This is what I think you have (sheet metal screw, thread type not the end).
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Thanks for all those details on types of screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I'd be inclined to use a wood screw and place a piece of backing wood behind the plastic panel.
Backing behind the door plastic so the screws have more to bite into -- that's a good idea. I wonder if I could just put a big wad of epoxy putty back there, and when it's dry drill a hole into that.

-- Geoff
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Thanks for all those details on types of screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger
I'd be inclined to use a wood screw and place a piece of backing wood behind the plastic panel.
Backing behind the door plastic so the screws have more to bite into -- that's a good idea. I wonder if I could just put a big wad of epoxy putty back there, and when it's dry drill a hole into that.

-- Geoff
I only suggested wood as that's what I have most of in my garage, so it came to mind first. I don't see a reason why a good epoxy wouldn't work, probably be a lot better since it would attach itself to the plastic unlike a piece of wood.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage

the big mistake with particalboard is to use epoxy. If youuse a wood glue with fillerto fix the hole it soaks in and matchs the surounding area unlike epooxy that gets hard in that spot.

something to think about.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote