Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Another seat question?

Wife and I looked at and test drove a 2011 E350 today. After we left, she commented on the lack of foot and leg room on the passenger side. I noticed the same. We wondered if it is feasible to have the seat and base moved back maybe 8 to 12 inches. Has anyone done this and is there any major reason not to do so, such as airbag sensors, etc.? Thanks for any comments, Stosh.

Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #2

Re: Another seat question?

You'd be way too far behind the B-pillar for the shoulder belt to be effective. As it is, with the seat reclined slightly, the belt is almost even with your shoulder.

The seat would also be in the way of the side door.

Brent
Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #3

I unbolted the seat tracks from the base and drilled corresponding holes in the base 3" further back. I had to space the seat upwards with washers to let the slider lock clear the base. It made a world of difference. I'm 6' 4" with a 37" inseam and size 16 shoe. I could use a little more room but for the cost of the washers and 30 minutes of work I'm happy with it.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

Just my 2 cents here, but its one of those things you just learn to live with. One of the great things about these vehicles is that on long trips, you just get up, grab something out of the fridge walk back to the rear seat and stretch out for awhile. Probably not the wisest thing to do with the airbags, but I admit that occasionally we both lean back and put our feet up on the dash. If you get a 4x4 and are on the trails, there usually is so much going on (grabbing for maps, books, cameras, turning and looking, etc.) you don't notice the confined area. For us, its not a deal breaker.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Well I hope you don't do that feet on the dash ting when you're driving

We use the little foot rest next to the side of the door to give one leg a different position once in a while. Moving the seat around a bit, changing body positions, and stopping to stretch your legs out every couple of hours should help stiff limbs and it's a good habit for reduced driving fatigue.

Chevy's van has just a tad more leg room, but there are other trade-offs to be made... Ford's van leg room beats my 1990 half ton Chevy pick-up any day.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #6

Charlie56:
If you can drive with your feet on the dash, I suspect that legroom is never an issue for you in any kind of vehicle.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #7

We have had a Ford van and now have a Chev van. Yes, the Ford frt passenger floor space is tight. One foot has to be on wheel house. Not to bad for my wife but there was not a flat spot large enough for both of my size 12 shoes. On the other hand we managed.

Feet on the dash? I would really like to see a slow motion movie of the air bag going off in that situation. Probably have to get your teeth removed from a knee cap with a large pair of pliers. The new stainless steel hip joints would be sexy though. Thank goodness accidents are fairly "rare".

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #8

Here's a picture with the seat unbolted and holes drilled in the base, don't unplug the wire or you may need to get a code cleared, unless maybe you disconnect the battery first and then unplug it, just a guess, I haven't tried that myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat base.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Site Team

On my 1999, if you unplug the seat all that happens is the airbag light on the dash comes on.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the helpful replies, especially the photo from Silver350...that seems like feasible mod. Also, I posted a new thread asking about replacing the cupholder device with a much smaller one. If that is workable, then with moving the seat 3", problem may be solved. Stosh
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote