Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #11

Re: Bed comfort - best vs. worst?

Here is the link to my interior thread. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6098

I have a murphy bed design in mind for something, somewhere, sometime, someday.
Its only in sketch form... I don't know if I saved it, but I could draw it up again if you have any interest.

It has the potential for the bed to fold up, dinette fold down from it, and a bench on the opposite side to connect to. With storage.
I am weak in the water/electric design/build area, so those would be other components to design in.

A van is certainly a jigsaw puzzle to make use of space efficiently. I always plug Van Specialties of Portland Or - they can bring your idea to life if its worth building. They made my idea reality.

Good luck, take your time, and brainstorm!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #12

With a CCV top I think you will have solved your bed issue. They look very comfy to me. Maybe buckkiller can testify to this. I just made a proper penthouse bed using only 2 inck foam and am ecstatic about it. I only went with 2 inche because I was worried about the top closing. I like a firm bed so it 's good for now but my wife hasn 't tried it yet.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I just made a proper penthouse bed using only 2 inck foam and am ecstatic about it.
Please make a howto post with pictures. Inquiring minds (with sore backs) want to know!
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #14

Will do a how to post if people promise not to laugh.There is a short version in - Project Modifications/ What did you do to you SMB today
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #15

For our home built, self-inflating pads where not comfortable enough. They were the thickest I could find at time, but it took a little extra air to make then Ok. Once I placed both on top of each other and it worked better.

We then tried 1-1/2 and also 2-inch memory foam and it compressed too much. Doubling the 1-1/2 to make it 3 inches is Ok but memory foam just doesn't seem stiff enough. When on side shoulder and hip feels like it compresses all the way down.

I ordered 3-inch-thick firm foam and it works great by comparison. It just takes up too much room for us to store during day. Because of this I'm getting ready to completely redo the sleeping area, and also to provide more storage space.

Because of the way our home mattress is made, as a test I tried 1-1/2 inch memory foam over the 3-inch firm foam and I liked that best. That's the combination I'm changing to.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote