Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Dia

Bed comfort - best vs. worst?

OK, folks - tell me about your beds.

Dinette vs. PH vs. gaucho vs. platform vs. ???

Which ones are comfortable, and which ones are a bear to sleep on? Is yours standard, custom or homebuild, and where did you get it?

If you're using egg crate or memory foam for a topper, where do you store it during the day? If you've done something to make a stock bed more comfortable, what was it?

If you had it to do over, what would you do?

Thanks!

Dia

Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Re: Bed comfort - best vs. worst?

EB50 with a 4" Memory Foam topper from Costco
Fold it in the back half with bedding and pillows during the day
The only comfort problem without the memory foam is that the cushions that make up the back platform are softer than the 50 seat, s.t. if you lay on it one way it can be slightly less comfortable, depending on if you want the hip chuck or shoulder press. With leveling and a partner the choice of direction is often not available.

My brother has the SMB side gaucho and his complaint is that it's not truly wide enough for two. When he solos he leaves the couch back off and it's the perfect single.

Even before the topper I slept like a rock in the van and much prefer it over sleeping at home on our Tempur-Pedic- not that I remember what either are like.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

My brother has the SMB side gaucho and his complaint is that it's not truly wide enough for two. When he solos he leaves the couch back off and it's the perfect single.
Good info right there, thanks!

Yeah, babies and sleep don't mix. Hang in there.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Penthouse bed with 2" memory foam topper. Memory foam never leaves the bed.

Rear dinette as a bed. No added padding. But, the cushions seem to suck heat out of you. I always put a blanket over the cushions before the sheet goes on. In the summer this is a big benefit. Our cushions are customized. Normal SMB (Indiana anyway) cushion are 3" firm foam and 1" softer foam. We had the softer foam left off for a slightly lower cushion.

My wife prefers the penthouse bed for the ventilation. I prefer the dinette bed because it is much quieter.

If over 5'10" the dinette bed will be too short to lay out flat. On the side with knees pulled up a little will be fine.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Our van conversion done in Huntington ... Not sure what they use but is very comfortable ....no need for memory foam.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

We sleep in the penthouse and were using memory foam but have switched to Thermorest pads which take up a LOT less space.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

I've got old foam up top with about 1" of memory foam. It's way old, so kinda hard. I started using a Thermarest as well, and now I really like it. I can use it outside (double-duty is always nice in the van) and I just open the valve and lower the top on it.

I also sleep on the gaucho occasionally. It's softer, but I much prefer the penthouse.

Rob
Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

We use the penthouse bed with 2" Thermorests. They are fine for us, we really like them. We like the penthouse bed because we can leave all the bedding on the bed made up for the next night. Also store the pillows up there.

Have used the lower transverse bed when REALLY windy out but I'm 6'0" and it is just to short for me to get a good nights sleep.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #9

For two people the penthouse is very narrow.
Think outside the box and design your own interior. Keep it simple. The more you design in, the more maintenance you will have.
A pick up & camper has versatility a dedicated van/interior does not have. And potentially better fuel economy.
Or.. you could keep your Toyota, stay small, and put an AT FlipPac http://www.adventuretrailers.com/flippac.html
on the back and design a convenient, simple interior with standing room. Maybe not a two year live in though...

I designed a folding bed/beds and use thermarest type pads which are petty comfy and pack down small.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Dia

Thanks for all of the bed tips, everyone!

I really like that folding bed, and I've been considering something like it--supported on wheelwell cabinets and possibly with an extra fold on each side so it makes benches for a dinette, too. Kind of like what Skinny's got, too, which reminds me to go check his thread...

Our plan so far is to have someone (probably CCV) do our PH, and slowly do the rest ourselves. I've looked at several used SMBs (online, not in person), but for 30 grand (which tends to be the price range for something that works for us with less than 100k miles) we can get an almost new van, pay for the PH and have something that exactly fits us and will last 10 to 15 years or more. That, and I like having a good chunk of the B2B warranty left and knowing all of the maintenance history because I did it myself.

I'll have to look for more pics of your build, maxaccel. I like how simple it looks.

My Prius is an '05 with 90k miles. It's got another 100k in it, easy. We'll keep it as my daily driver, then transition it to the kid as a teenager/going off to college car. I work from home (writer), so I won't really need a car once I'm not playing mom taxi anymore. My guess is that once the kid heads to college, we'll be just fine with DH's car and the van.