Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #1

Best kind of interior carpet/fabric?

I'm in the process of building out my van, and Im redoing the carpet in the front seats area, as well as planning on covering any left over exposed metal with a 1/4 or 1/2 inch layer of insulation foam then fabric over that.

Anyway, my question is, what kind of fabric would be good to go with in terms of performance (durable, somewhat weather resistant, good insulation qualities etc..) and looks good? I was thinking of buying heavy duty wool by the yard in a unique pattern for the exposed metal since theres not that much and probably wouldnt look bad/too much. I've heard wool can be good for moisture control, which is a big deal for me since i do a lot of winter camping. I was thinking of making a pop top fabric with an interior layer of wool for that same reason.

and for the floor carpeting in the front i have no idea, for that i just want plain black or dark grey, just something that performs well.

any ideas?

mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
There's quite a few threads on here with lots of info on interior build outs and materials used. Try doing a search, maybe someone can provide a link here? Anyway, depending on your model, theres bedrug for interior carpet to cover the entire cargo. I used a low pile commercial carpet I found at Home Depot to redo the front cab section a few years ago. I first put down dynamat and then dynapad for sound and heat. Depends on how you want to finish out the rear, are you building it out? Cabinets? Bed frame? There's lots of options there, carpet, engineered wood, ply, marine vinyl. You will find many have put down a layer of ply as a base, with various layers of soundproofing material first, just be aware of moisture and the material you use. Same goes for the walls, lots of options there too. 1/4 birch ply, cheap paneling covered with trunk liner carpet-lots of colors available and can be applied with spray adhesive or Naugahyde or similar "leather" like material. Again, there are lots of threads on here that give detailed info and options on interior builds and materials. Good luck

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Carpet - best??? REF's advice about prepping for sound and insulation and then find a clean stock grey front carpet out of a XL or XLT trim passenger van. The stock Ford higher end trim carpet is very high quality, rubber backed, formed. It cleans up pretty well, too. All imho and assuming you have a Ford.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #4

I used foam backed headliner fabric, and contact cemented it to the reflefectix I glued to the sheet metal. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...4lb60jjb_e_p20
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

I'm going with the rubber Bed-Rug. They are fitted for the vehicle. So, they fit perfectly. It will allow for easy clean up after muddy boots climb in and out during Steelhead season. It is insulated w/ molded foam. had one in my 2500 Dodge. Great product from a great company.
Mischievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Another alternative is Husky liners for the front. They're custom fitted to specific vehicle models, and, as far as I was able to find, are the only supplier that has them for the Ford E-series and are a perfect fit. An advantage they have is they are easy to take out and hose off.

I originally got them to use during camping trips, but have not taken them out (except for cleaning) since I put them in. They're great.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #7

I've thought about it some more, and I think I'm going to try to minimize the amount of carpet I use in the back living area. I'm thinking I'll just use carpet wherever there's any bare metal still showing. So that's basically covering all the beams and the roof line around the pop top. Most of it will end up being covered by cabinets.
I just don't want bare metal. And I'd like to add a thin layer of some kind of insulation or just sound deadening under the fabric.

I think if I could find some kind of heavyish wool/synthetic mix, like you'd find in outdoor apparel that'd be ideal, but could also get pricey..

I'm going to recover the front cab area as well, so I'll do a different, probably thicker carpet on the floors and around the seats, then cover the pillars and walls with whatever fabric I decide on for the back.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #8

Garage
Check out hull liner. Its what a good amount of us have used and meets all your needs.

Hulliner and Headliner 72"

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Check out hull liner. Its what a good amount of us have used and meets all your needs.

Hulliner and Headliner 72"
Thanks that stuff looks great, so does the marine carpet on that website, guessing its pretty similar. that would work great for the flooring and cab.

For the walls I might have found something that could work while i was roaming around an army surplus store. Canvas tent fabric/ normal cotton canvas. you can treat it with different things for waterproofing, or wax it. It would definitely look cool, and probably be plenty tough and easy to apply.
they had surplus stuff that was kind of ugly buy very cheap, im sure i can find something online thats a little nicer though.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:33 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

It depends on what you like. I go with fabric, as it's easier to clean it.
britanyweel is offline   Reply With Quote