Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Re: Best way to raise Penthouse

I started by adjusting my springs 3 links yes three ........ Oh I added a 275lb aluminess rack .... I have a rear dinette so i stand on the rear couches and simply stand up. Its only the first 6-9" then its easy, I would think a link or two would make it a breeze for you.

tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tully
I started by adjusting my springs 3 links yes three ........ Oh I added a 275lb aluminess rack .... I have a rear dinette so i stand on the rear couches and simply stand up. Its only the first 6-9" then its easy, I would think a link or two would make it a breeze for you.
Wow! 275? That's comforting. I thought I had a lot up there, but I doubt I've got near 275 lbs. Anyway, I went up to 4 links recently. It can be done per SMB Indiana, but they said they wouldn't do more. I fear my 1995 springs may be a little weak though. I would like to ask SMB west since they probably see the most vans with heavy Aluminess racks etc. but Peter hasn't returned my calls.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #13

Letting air in is key. Open a door or a few windows.

I can shoulder it up, but my wife lays on the countertop and pushes the PH up with her feet.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #14

Best way to raise Penthouse

Open the side door, stand on a sturdy step stool (love my aluminum on from Camping World), put shoulder on PH padding, then leg press upward until you're past the initial oomphf and then finish with shoulder press upwards. The key here is leveraging your body with the stool and using your legs.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #15

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect the stool will work for me. I also found a cargo bar that I'll try if the stool doesn't do it.
cpbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

Bed is like 60-75#. Unhooking that definitely makes a difference.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #17

Not all cargo bars are sturdy enough; I got one at Home Depot that worked. Super easy. And useful as, well, a cargo bar.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #18

Mine is hard to lift too. I dont get it. I have 3 links out, 1.5 inch blocks behind the helper springs and only an empty Thule roof box. I'm 34 and in fair shape. I thought. I think it was easier before I took the 3 links out. Could be imagining that though. Is it possible the springs get weak over time? I think this top was put on in 2000.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO
Mine is hard to lift too. I dont get it. I have 3 links out, 1.5 inch blocks behind the helper springs and only an empty Thule roof box. I'm 34 and in fair shape. I thought. I think it was easier before I took the 3 links out. Could be imagining that though. Is it possible the springs get weak over time? I think this top was put on in 2000.
I guess maybe they could. But I've got a 2001 and notice no difference. Maybe something in the tubes where they connect that's binding? or maybe up in the ceiling?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Best way to raise Penthouse

Um...are you sure you went the right way with the links? You don't want to let them OUT...you want to go 3 links IN so there is more tension on the spring.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote