Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #11

I went the DIY route......Reflectix sandwiched between headliner inside and outside. They do a great job of keeping the van warm on cold nights. The plan has been to sew edge trim on these but I've been using them as shown for years now.

I used headliner spray contact adhesive to bond the three layers together.

The construction is shown in post #121 of my build thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-10808-13.html

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I went the DIY route......Reflectix sandwiched between headliner inside and outside. They do a great job of keeping the van warm on cold nights. The plan has been to sew edge trim on these but I've been using them as shown for years now.

I've cut lots and lots of Reflectix and for my last build I did just what Boywonder did above, but perhaps a simpler version of it.

Reflectix cut for each window, a $50 2 beer project. Then I got black headliner material (thin foam bonded to black velour) from a local upholstery store. Cut and glued it to the Reflectix on one side only, about $25 more.

Total blackout and insulated windows. I'll do it again next van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

I did similar, refelctix with black headliner on one side and tan auto carpet on the other side. I then sewed webbing around the edges.
If your using reflectix cut it slightly longer then needed in the direction of the roll. It tends to shrink over time.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #14

^^^^ Yep ^^^^, pro-tip for sure. Reflectix does shrink.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post

Thanks! This seems like a great option. Especially if you've been using them for a few years without trimming the edges. Has the reflectix shrank enough to mess with the headliner material?
Seattle350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleSteve View Post
I did similar, refelctix with black headliner on one side and tan auto carpet on the other side. I then sewed webbing around the edges.
If your using reflectix cut it slightly longer then needed in the direction of the roll. It tends to shrink over time.
What size was the webbing you used? I assume you folded it over the edges and sewed it on kind of like a piping?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle350 View Post
Has the reflectix shrank enough to mess with the headliner material?

I haven't noticed much shrinkage, although others here have...mine started slightly oversize and still are a snug fit in the window holes.

Another member here (can't recall his username right now) made canvas ones with reflectix inside.....and suction cups with pull rings to stick to the glass. They looked totally pro...even had little patches with each window name sewn in....he had them made locally here in Orange county by someone who does canvas work.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle350 View Post
What size was the webbing you used? I assume you folded it over the edges and sewed it on kind of like a piping?
I used 1" webbing and yes just like piping.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #19

What actictraveler said!

Back when I had a VW Vanagon I did the reflectix too, got tired of figuring out where to store, didn't like the cold look of reflectix, so I bought a Westfalia curtain kit. Curtains were far superior aesthetically and in execution, storing right on the window they were meant to cover.

Fast forward to my E350 Window Van, I could't find a curtain kit to buy, didn't have a sewing machine or the talent, wanted to go camping NOW, so I have the reflectix that I don't really want.

I've been considering buying some material and learning to sew. Or, I have been idly looking at buying some RV shades like this site has.
https://www.waldoch.com/store/conver...nd-shades.html

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #20

The shape of the windows in the E350 would make getting a well fitted shade hard to get. I priced everything yesterday. Black out material both sides, reflectix and insulation fabric on the inside is around $300. That’s to do every window except the front. I’m not sure what I’m doing with the front yet. I will be hanging a curtain right behind the seats though. That’ll make for total privacy in the back. I’m hoping to have all these made and ready to use in about a month.