Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #11

Re: Cabin vents blowing warm air

Geoff ,
You were absolutely correct in assuming that the Air Conditioning was on , even though the knob was dead nut's in the middle of Vent , I pulled the dash apart and ran the Van up to 190 Degrees ,with the thermometer in place I found that the the shaft did not perfectly align with the Adjustment Knob , Apparently this is an infinite control as I could move it a fraction of an inch in one direction or another and change the temperature readings accordingly . If I want straight venting I have to put the control indicator on the letter T in Vent . By moving to the notched set on the Vent setting it seems to begin to engage the Air . So I went for a drive and carefully engaged Vent , Norm A/C and Max and noted substantial change in the registered temperatures . My vent temperatures were about 7 degrees warmer than the outside air temperatures when the adjustment knob was turned completely to the left in the Blue Zone
so I think that my vent is functioning correctly ! Thanks Geoff your query gave me a headache
because your question defied the results of my earlier posted findings .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #12

I would like to purchase and install the 7.3L valve to see how it works, however per the order page it ONLY turns off the heater core when Max A/C is on. I want it to turn off the heater core whenever the thermostat is in the blue area, which since there probably isn't a vacuum line covering that function means some type of manual switch.

Any thoughts? Should I change the switch to manual? (remote vacuum or cable operation?) I'd basically be putting a "summer" switch on there which would be in addition to the current controls.

Basically the F250 should be a good test platform, the hot vent air is really getting to me (back in AZ it was always hot enough for the AC, but these nice sunny cool days are being wasted!) If I come up with a good solution, I'll do the van next.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Site Team

Jage,

I'd give the people at DieselSite a call and ask them their reasoning as to why they designed it that way, and if it would be easy to accomplish what you want to do. There may be a good reason why they did what they did, though on the surface it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Herb
Old 04-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

OK I'm not sure about the heater plumbing of the van but If this valve stops water flowing through the heater core I'm wondering what would happen to someone (like me) who has the Espar Hydronic water heater. From what I gather the Hydronic water heater is tapped off the van's heater core and that is how I heat the engine block. I wouldn't want to loose that capability unless I had full control of this valve, engine running or not. On the other hand it might let the Hydronic operate faster to get warm water. I might have to revisit Vendor Greg's post about getting hot water faster from a Espar water heater. At any rate I would want to make sure I can use this in conjunction with the Espar provided this valve will even work for in 6.0 PSD.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Site Team

Sorry everybody, I was going to scan and post the instructions that came with the unit, but they're not in the box anymore. Hopefully I can find them in the chaos that is my house, and get them posted so everybody can get a better understanding of how it works.

Herb
Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Jage,

I noticed that the place that sells the valve also has another product that causes their base valve to work in any position (Vent, Reg AC, Max AC). It costs another $100 or so, beyond the price of the original valve that you need.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?Pag ... ProdID=887

I also e-mailed them for a copy of the install instructions for the valve I have.

Herb
Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #17

Herb, I love it when I don't have to think... now if I could just get somebody to pick up the tab too...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Sooooo..... who is trying this first ???
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #19

I am, unless somebody beats me to it.

So Herb, if I read correctly you may already have the "on Max AC, heater coil off" setup, but not the electronic control (887) which is listed as needing "or an OEM installed heater valve"... in plain english I believe that means your vent setting would still blow warm.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I am, unless somebody beats me to it.

So Herb, if I read correctly you may already have the "on Max AC, heater coil off" setup, but not the electronic control (887) which is listed as needing "or an OEM installed heater valve"... in plain english I believe that means your vent setting would still blow warm.
You got it, though the valve I have isn't installed. For some reason, I still have warm air.

No word back yet from the manufacturer re: the install instructions.

Herb