Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #31

Re: Can I instal a water heater? What Kind is best?

John,

That is a great idea, unfortunately SMB West doesn't appear to be doing this anymore. My van is a 2008 and I don't have a shut off on the hot water line leading to the faucet.

John

Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #32

When at Sure Marine in Seattle yesterday, came across the Everhot line of water heaters. These are an exchange on-demand system for boats. Looks something like the round tins full of a variety of popcorn that your office gets during the holidays. Anyway, the 4 gallon (smallest unit) means it produces four gallons of hot water a minute (does not store 4 gallons of water like stoagrage type units). The engine coolant can be used as the "boiler" like the flat plate units. They've had a lot of sucess with these on boats. The 4 gallon unit (the only one they had on display, was not all that large. Anyway, its just one more US-made option. http://www.tfi-everhot.com
Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #33

Angel,

Did SMB tell you specifically what the RV regs problem was in venting the propane exhaust with the Precision Temp? For example, if one was put under a Gaucho opposite the side door like in a 31, would that violate something?

JC
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #34

JC,

They said it had to vent outside. Since the barn door opens up behind my sink they could not put a vent there. Also, they could not install it on the drivers side because it because the vent has to be a "certain proximity" away from the gas tank and the fuel fill.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #35

Well, then, wondering out loud . . . the Precision Temp doesn't have to be located right at the water outlet. It can be remote and run where ever with PEX. If the floorplan allowed it, a dedicated compartment might be put in the rear corner of the PS. This is as far away from the forbidden fuel tank and filler as is possible on the van. The exhaust tube, about the same size as that for a built-in genset, could be routed out the bottom. It'd stick out near the vehicle exhaust pipe. Wonder why that wouldn't work?

What got me leaning in favor of the PT is the not freezing thing. All of it's inside the relatively warmer cabin. It's tankless; so there's really not much to drain, anyway. It's silent; so, no worries about noise starting your engine or genset. Takes about 5 mins to get water in the internals warmed up, if that. Uses almost no battery bank unless you make it go 110v for the supplemental heater.

If your willing to tolerate having propane on board, it seems to solve lots of problems discussed above. So, shoot away and correct my thinking.

JC
Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #36

Sounds right to me. They were going to vent it near where my propane heater is vented--between the barn door and the exhaust on the passenger side. Their standard propane H2O heater is 11.5" tall and the tank less is 14.5" tall even though it is smaller.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #37

does this model motor aid water heater dual electric/gas. suburbans website info only lists dual
gas/electric as having motor aid capability.

thanks