Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #1

Can I run my van AC without turning on starcool too?

I am wondering if it's ok to run my van ac without turning on my starcool. In other words, does the starcool have to be turned on every time I turn on the van AC? I think someone at Sportsmobile Austin told me that they are supposed to be run together. Don"t understand why. Sometimes the van AC is all I really need. Can anyone explain this? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #2

Re: Can I run my van AC without turning on starcool too?

I believe this was answered in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1089 I have been able to use it with it off myself, but I usually now make sure that the thermostat is off and that I start running it with it on, before turning it off.

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

While driving always use the Starcool with your stock air.

While parked on shore power, if you have the 110VAC Starcool setup, the thermostat should be set to cool/on and the fan switches must both be turned on. At least that is how mine works.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #4

daveb, you say the fan switches must "both" be turned on. I have only one 3 speed switch for the starcool, and it's on the dash. I have always turned it on when I run my van AC. I always keep my thermostat in the on and cool position all the time. My 30 amp. breaker is always off except when plugged in or running gen. Does this sound right. Thanks
bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #5

The freon will "pool" in the starcool and your dash ac will stop cooling. Turn on the starcool and it all cools right away
Brent
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv
daveb, you say the fan switches must "both" be turned on. I have only one 3 speed switch for the starcool, and it's on the dash. I have always turned it on when I run my van AC. I always keep my thermostat in the on and cool position all the time. My 30 amp. breaker is always off except when plugged in or running gen. Does this sound right. Thanks
Yes, with the Starcool III it doesn't matter on the speed just that both are on. How you want to adjust the temps are up to you. During hot weather I keep the Starcool on high and adjust the front air. In cooler weather I might lower the Starcool fan to low so I don't freeze out. On shore power the Starcool uses a different compressor but the coolant is all tied together with the stock Ford system. If you don't use the Starcool with the engine running I found the head pressure gets a little high, so having both running takes a large load off the Stock system. B&J is correct about the pooling.
I would not worry about damage but it's best to run both when driving. On shore power don't use the Stock air for the obvious reasons. BTW, the thermostat only affects the Shore power compressor and has nothing to do with how the Starcool operates while driving.

Dave.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #7

Question. I cannot get my starcool to turn on. I have the 3 spd switch up front, no switch in back. I also notice that the microwave will not come on either. Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

There are different Starcool setups. I seem to remember SMB saying you could order a 110VAC system that only works off shore power.
I think you can also order it w/o the 110 compressor; a 12v version only. Do you know what type you have? Pretty sure that if you have a thermostat it indicates you have a 110 compressor AND/OR a propane heater.

Usually there is a rocker switch behind the driver seat on the wall (as in my van) but was installed in a different spot with some older models I'm told. My fan switch is a 4 position rotory type (off, 1, 2, & 3). Both switches have to be on to operate. I wouldn't think the microwave would have anything to do with it unless you have no inverter and possibly the PO decided on shore power only to run it. If that's the case it's possible you only have an 110 compressor.

Have you ever found a switch that you don't know what it runs? Could be a fuse out.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #9

I know it worked at one time. I turned it on with the 3 spd switch (off, lo, med, hi) up front. I did not know it would be better to have both on. I do have a propane heater as well. I turned the thermostat to on/cool but still nothing. I have not found any switch in the rear, or behind the seat. Being that I am new to this van I need to go through the entire fuse boxes and check all of them.

Does everyone have 2 fuse boxes? Is everyone elses Sportsmobile wired like a rats nest of wires? The electrical system in this van is absolutley scarey. Nothing in either fuse box is marked or has a diagram to go with it. I cant believe you put all this crap in a vehicle and not mark what goes where. Trial and error with electrical SUCKS!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Site Team

I don't have Starcool, but I agree with you on the fuses. I have some fuses behind the driver's knee panel, behind the passenger's knee panel, some under the plastic door sill (seat heater fuses - I think), at least one in my galley unit, and who knows where else. SMB shold document every fuse (purpose, amperage value, and location) and provide that as part of the owner's manual.

I know at least one of my 30A fuses in my SMB-added fuse box is labled "Furnace". Problem is, I don't have a furnace.

Herb