Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

Can’t Get Water

System drained for the winter and now filled again but cannot get water out of the pipes. Pump is working but just gurgles some water now and then. Looks like some clear bubble with a screen or something. Shurflow and all valves are closed so not sure why it’s not working this time. Worked last year and almost like it lost prime. Not sure what the heck to do other than going to the local gym in Sedona for my showers. Dang nab it all.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

No doubt it's airlocked. Open all the valves and let the pump run a bit. If that doesn't work, loosen a hose at the pump and see if you get water pressure there. Make sure the tank is full too, that will help. If you still don't get water, either the suction hose is blocked (try blowing air backwards) or the pumps rubber checkvalves have hardened up and no longer seal. A long cold winter will cause the rubber to harden. If so, you can probably get a rebuild kit.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #3

I had an issue where the pump would just run and run and no water would come out. Troubleshoot a bunch of stuff and ultimately I ended up replacing the grey plastic valve that SMB sells on their online store and that fixed it. Turned out the rubber in that valve was no longer sealing. The new valve was cheap and it was an easy thing to replace. I don't know how old your van is but mine is a 2000.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #4

I’ve done the same ^^. I have also had a Shurflo pump go bad from age. What year is the van/how old is the pump? For the 50 bucks that I knew pump cost I would just replace it, but not until you’re sure it’s the pump of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I had the outside city water fill valve crack once even after draining the system that gave me the same issue, air entering the system. Check for any breaks or leaks when hooked up to city water under pressure.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

If you disconect the output hose and try the pump, you have pretty well eliminated any issues further down stream. Make sure the suction hose is tight and not leaking air and that it's not plugged up somehow. If it is the pump, you don't have to buy from SMB, any RV or marine supply will have a selection of different pumps and fittings.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Thanks all. 2009 RB50 is the layout. Going to do some testing after this bike ride. Love this forum!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

Sorry. Off the grid and still kind that way. Got water. Airlock seem3d to be it although I think the pump seals are toast now. Turned fill valve to fill position for the hell of it and ran pump. Looks like little window filled up and turned the valve to run position and got full flow out of faucet. Pump would burp about every 15 seconds like there was a leak but no leak found. Now burping every 3 seconds or so but no leak. Time for pump service. Thanks all.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #9

Pumps are cheap and super easy to replace. I’d just get a new one.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

If the pump is pumping it’s fine.

Likely a vacuum leak in the line.. and that will likely be the gray valve. I’d recommend starting there.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote