Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #31

Can your refrigerator holding 40F with this record heat??

Just got home from a couple days out with only a Truckfridge t51 chest model (actually it's a rebranded Indel B). I'm not sure what kind of power it's using so this is basically just a praise of it's fast and superior performance to a front door model. It will freeze a gallon of water in 2 hours!It's amazing. I think I'll always have a front door model in any vehicle with cabinets and space for one but I think the best answer is to max out on solar and take both, front door fridge for most food and a chest type for drinks. Overkill? Maybe, but here's what you can do with a chest that you can't do with a front door. You can cool or even freeze anything, FAST, while driving, and then shut it off overnight or while parked. I had water and beer in mine this weekend and turned it off at bedtime at 30 degrees (beer stored higher so as not to explode). Ambient temp that night about 80, 90's during the day. The next morning I had gone from 30 to 38 with it off. I only have one battery in this truck and do t completely trust any low voltage shutoff. The next morning I turned it on for an hour and was back to 28 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #32

I also have the nor cold de0041 and it's awesome.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #33

We have a mid-sized ARB and plenty of solar. It will keep things frozen in the driveway (full sun, low dust) for weeks. Obviously that's not smart in terms of battery wear, but I've gotten back from camping only to get absorbed in business work hours later more than once.

While out and about, it is mostly a matter of cleaning the panel off and not camping under shade. Of course this may self-defeat being able to sleep in, so that's a trade-off. That trade-off can be managed by idling for a bit, or moving after waking up, but it's not ideal.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote