Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

Considering Starcool removal

This is a SMB Austin build on a 2002 E350 7.3L. The Starcool AC has stopped working, seized compressor suspected by SMB Fresno. Parts are no longer made for this system and I won’t ever use AC enough to justify replacing the system. So, I’m considering a complete removal. Wondering if someone might help itemize the components to remove and what they look like or where they are. So far, I’m seeing a coil inside and under the pantry slide out, might be the compressor hanging under the chassis near the propane tank, and might be another coil towards front of van, under driver door. Thx

Wire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Garage
just got my '07 GMC out of the shop after having a bunch of leaks repaired.
I had some difficulty finding a shop who would tackle the job.
One recommendation on this site was to look for a shop that does Fleet Service of trucks, buses, and limo vans. That's how I found a shop.
You need to find a manual for your Starcool model if you don't already have one. They are downloadable on this forum.
On my rig there is a compressor and a condenser under the driver's side between the wheels. The evaporator is under the fridge.
Three lines tie into the van A/C
To learn anything about Starcool I had to search "starcool" on this forum and then read anything I could find. The threads are all over the site. I tended to skip the ones in Member Classifeds.
Good luck GH
Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 AM   #3

A few years back I posted the Starcool manual from my 98 SMB, so I know there’s at least one manual here somewhere. Should be pretty much the same as in your 2002 as they haven’t really changed.

As a general note, I think it’s pretty inexcusable that SMB has basically washed their hands of the Starcool parts after having installed a mostly proprietary system in so many vans over the years. Not cool! (Pun intended.)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

Garage
In Advanced search, type in starcool and select Titles only.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
So your Ford system doesn't work either?

If the system is both AC (requires shore power) and DC (runs while driving) it might be cheaper to just cut out and plug off the 110 compressor (if it's possible). I'll bet I've used my 110 compressor a total of 10 times but need the 12v system during hot weather. Problem with the Starcool is if the system looses pressure, it directly affects the Ford air system. I've got a friend with a mobile air truck that services big rigs and farm equipment and that's the type of repair business I'd look for.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
A few years back I posted the Starcool manual from my 98 SMB, so I know there’s at least one manual here somewhere. Should be pretty much the same as in your 2002 as they haven’t really changed.

As a general note, I think it’s pretty inexcusable that SMB has basically washed their hands of the Starcool parts after having installed a mostly proprietary system in so many vans over the years. Not cool! (Pun intended.)
I do have the original SMB manual, including the diagrams that illustrate all the parts. Guess the real request is help in locating all the right parts on the vehicle and what they look like. thx for the feedback.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
So your Ford system doesn't work either?

If the system is both AC (requires shore power) and DC (runs while driving) it might be cheaper to just cut out and plug off the 110 compressor (if it's possible). I'll bet I've used my 110 compressor a total of 10 times but need the 12v system during hot weather. Problem with the Starcool is if the system looses pressure, it directly affects the Ford air system. I've got a friend with a mobile air truck that services big rigs and farm equipment and that's the type of repair business I'd look for.
Ford A/C works great. Is the '12v system' you're referring to the blower switch just above the driver's head? if so, that works good too in terms of getting air to the rear of the vehicle while driving.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

So, then, the 12v side of the Star Cool works? And the 110v side doesn't? I'd keep things as-is and not bother. As was mentioned before, the stock AC and StarCool are tied. Since you say the stock AC is good then the the StartCool must be holding a Freon charge too, and the 12v side of it in some working order.

My StarCool works great after I had a hose with a hole in it replaced and the whole system recharged. I've never used the 110v leg of my StarCool, don't know if it works, don't care if it does or doesn't, never plan to use it.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote