Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 PM   #1

Cubic Mini Woodstove

Was wondering if anyone had experiences with it and their thoughts about installing one in a van. Looks like a lot of people have done it. We haven't figured out what we want to do for heating yet and this seems like a fairly economical/unique option. Bonus that it can be used as a cooking surface.

Thinking of installing somewhere between my two passenger windows on teh driver side. My only concern is making a really big whole in my high top and if (lol more like when) I ever move/re-design the interior

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/coll...ini-wood-stove

https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/coll...-roof-exit-kit
Attached Thumbnails
w8ae6o25xai21.jpg  

Old 10-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

A smoldering wood stove burning all night can be a source of carbon monoxide, especially in a small enclosed space. They are kinda dangerous, but pretty inexpensive.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

I think they really limit your floor space and buildout area, in a already limited space
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #4

I thought about it but decided no because burning wood is illegal in some of the ski towns I like to stay in.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #5

Garage
An accident waiting to happen, and a health hazard risk as well. I'm happy to heat up with my diesel furnace while watching a fireplace video on my laptop.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #6

I've been pretty intrigued by the idea. I love wood stove heat. But I figured I would have to carry a bunch of precut wood most likely cut at a special smaller size and that takes space to store it. And on an extended road trip you would have to resupply wood and most places where you can find it are going to be cut too long to fit into the mini stove size. Then in the warmer months when you don't need it it just takes up precious room. A furnace that draws fuel from the engine fuel source just sounds so much easier but it seems like they have their issues as well.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #7

Valid points everyone, great to hear all the different perspectives. Still haven't decided on what to do but heating is still important. We use a Mr.Buddy right now and it works well for a temporary solution.

Another option I was thinking about is getting one of the Planar Heaters, I like the versatility and its a turn key solution. It mean's I need to carry diesel even though I have a gas van.

https://planarheaters.com/product/po...-planar-2d-12/
Old 10-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #8

I love wood heat and use it in our house. The van is different. Room is definitely compromised in the summer if you had a built in stove.
We have a hard mount propane furnace and use a portable tank in the van which doesn’t take up much space. For our gas van i don’t see a better option.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #9

They seem really popular in the UK with self-builds, but less so here in the US. Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the interior space as it would be difficult to make it dual purpose during the times of the year when heat isn't required. Plus, having to dedicate space for wood storage, having to carry tools to prepare any wood I might have to get (normal "side-of-the-road" sold firewood will be too big to fit in these small stoves), dealing with the spent ash, keeping fire-starter materials on hand, etc.

My ex- had a wood stove in here sunroom. It was great and she had access to free wood, specially prepared by her parents for wood stove use, but it was definitely work.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
A smoldering wood stove burning all night can be a source of carbon monoxide, especially in a small enclosed space. They are kinda dangerous, but pretty inexpensive.
not being a smart ass here at all, but how is a van scenario any different than a tiny house, boat cabin, or small cabin? we’ve rented cabins just bigger than the van numerous times with the only source of heat being a wood stove, and none of them had a co2 detector like a lot of peoples van do. am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
...Plus, having to dedicate space for wood storage, having to carry tools to prepare any wood I might have to get (normal "side-of-the-road" sold firewood will be too big to fit in these small stoves), dealing with the spent ash, keeping fire-starter materials on hand, etc.
we either carry everything you need to make wood or the wood itself every trip. we always have fire starter and prep tools with us, hatchet, axe, lighter, lighter fluid, etc. if we don’t take wood from the house we usually take a chainsaw. usually one or the other. its illegal to cut down any wood in a lot of areas where we camp pre and post season, typically desert or protected type desert areas that have very limited wood type products available. if you can even find any burnables, what is available stinks bad if you do burn it.

only drawback I see is the usable space in summer as pointed out. some layouts it would be a huge limiting factor, and not sure what you’d do in a pop top situation, but if you lived someplace that was cold more of the year than warm, something like a wood stove would be nice.

wife and I both grew up in homes that were primarily heated with wood. waking up and falling asleep to the sound of fire is something we both enjoy. I think we would really enjoy having a wood stove in our van if we didn’t have a solid 6-8 months out of the year when zero heat source was needed up in the mountains.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote