Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Curtains or shades

I have a passenger van that I had Sportsmobile add a top and folding bench to. I added a sink, stove and propex heater myself. So I am almost done with my conversion but I am trying to figure out what to do about curtains. I have Reflectix panels cut for insulation but I don't want to bring them when I don't need the extra insulation and I don't like the fact that my van feels like a space capsule when they are in. So I want to add some curtains or shades. My problem is that because I have a passenger van the windows are rounded with plastic molding around them so the shades might not work that great. Also 2 of my windows open on the side so the shade would hit the latch. I would love some advice and to see any pictures of what anyone has done.

Thanks

Jeremy

jhensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #2

Re: Curtains or shades

Day / Night Shades from camping world
i think my whole rig was @ $300
thats
2 rear
2 side door
2 large side windows

work great
it is what SMB factory uses

what you see in most of the pics, check out a few galleries

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Joel

I have SMB day/night shades. If you would have asked me if I would have wanted them before I bought my used SMB I would have said "Who cares!" But I use them all the time. They're super convenient, work well (not a complete vision block out, but somebody would have to be really trying to get a glimpse in), and they keep the van dark enough during the day to sleep if I want.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3812&hilit=curtain

Scroll down to saabman's posts.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

Jeremy --

I am making the curtains for my Ford passenger van this week. I decided against using the standard RV curtain track like Saabman used: the only sources I could find came in 45 or 72" lengths so I would have lots of wasted and pricey track.

Instead, I purchased 12' lengths of 3/8" aluminum rod and cut curtain rods slightly longer than the width of the large side windows. I then drilled 3/8" holes in the trim near the top of the window, and slid the rod into the holes, so that the trim holds the aluminum curtain rod in place. A dab of silicon finishes the rod installation.

The curtains are fabric lined with blackout cloth; they hang on the rod using backtabs, so about 1" of curtain is above the rod, and thus completely covers the window. The sides of the curtains are secured to the trim with snaps, so that the curtains are fairly snug when they are drawn to cover the window. otherwise, they are pulled to one side, and held by a tie-back strap and snap.

The biggest hassle was figuring out what to make the curtain rod from, and how to secure them to the van.

I do have reflectix pieces cut to fit the windows, and in very cold weather, they can fit in the window behind the curtains.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

I am still not sure which direction I would like to go, but thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at the day/night shades and I was wondering,

-Do most people get the day/night or just the night version.
-How do they attach to the van,
-Are they attached at the bottom as well, if so are there strings always going from top to bottom of the window?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhensel
I am still not sure which direction I would like to go, but thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at the day/night shades and I was wondering,

-Do most people get the day/night or just the night version.
-How do they attach to the van,
-Are they attached at the bottom as well, if so are there strings always going from top to bottom of the window?

they attach top and bottom
i have the day and night option

pretty reasonalby priced IMHO
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Team

What I don't like is how the shades and "strings" attach to the Ford plastic window frames. I already have a few window frames that are cracked where the strings attach. And that's without ever driving with the shades lowered.

Herb
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #9

Do people use both the day and the night shades or do you find yourself always using one or the other. It looks like it will cost about double for me to do the day/night versus just the night version.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #10

The day version is great for blocking the sun and still being able to see outside. Also, people have a hard time seeing in during the day with the day version. I did not know they could be purchased separately but am glad that I have the day/night version.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote