Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #11

Custom Functional Bedding

As you all know zippers usually have one end that is always closed however it is possible change the hardware on the zipper so that it can slide from both either end. A good fabric store should be able to point you in the right direction. The other place to check is a place that repairs outdoor gear.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #12

Re: Custom Functional Bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Steve,

That's actually a very appealing option. I have military surplus cold weather sleeping systems for all of us (light weight bag, heavy weigh bag, bivy sack) that are very warm (overkill) for the teardrop, but they can't be joined together.

With the Coleman bags you have, can they be zipped together, one on top of the other, so the zippers would be to the outside of the bags, rather than inbetween the two people sleeping? That way we could unzip one side to stick out that leg.

thanks,
Herb
Herb,

Yep, one bag lies flat on top and one on the bottom. Because these particular sleeping bags have two zippers each, you can open both on each side as well as open part of the bottom as weather dictates. Very comfortable. I've used them in the teens up to the low 70s. They are bulky, though. If that is a concern maybe they make lighter ones with the same functionality. In any case, I would recommend a non-slippery outer fabric so the bags don't shift and bunch up under you when sleeping.

I did a quick search and this seems like an ok deal: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Big-Game- ... eeping+bag

Steve
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
Site Team

Thanks Steve. I have an e-mail into Coleman to see if any of their lighter weight bags will mate to this bag. I really do like the idea that RVSuperbag has of differing insulation thicknesses on the top and on the bottom so you can flip the bedding material to have the warmer, or coooler, insulation on top of you depending on the ambient temps. An interesting way to go if you're not sleeping on the ground.

Herb

[EDIT: I agree completely about the sleeping bag material choice. No matter which way I go, I'm definitely avoiding nylon material so it doesn't slide all over the place, and so I don't have to listen to that nylon on nylon sound in a confined space. Some kind of cotton/canvas material is a must-have]
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #14

Herb ,
If I remember correctly the Cabelas Adam and Eve series have the ability to be flipped for temperature control .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #15

We have something almost identical that we've been using for 5+ years now called "bed in a bag". I know these were no longer made for several years after we got ours, looks like RVSuperbag.com took it over. We absolutely love ours, it is extremely comfortable and easy to setup/break down. It was expensive compared to sleeping bags or just a sheet and comforter set, but has been well worth it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #16

I went with a slightly different approach to bedding. I contacted someone I found on E-bay and had them make a custom sized Canvas Cowboy Bedroll. I had them make the bedroll large enough to have a huge sleeping bag fit inside. The canvas bedroll acts as a bedding protector inside the van. I don't have to worry about getting my bedding dirty when I throw duffels of river gear on top of the bed.

It's similar to this bedroll but I had them make an extra long head flap with grommets on it so I can take it outside if I want to sleep under the stars. I figure the canvas probably adds another 10 degrees of comfort level when I zip everything up tight. On warm nights I can do several different combinations of zipped and unzipped to help regulate temperature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cowboy-BEDROLL- ... 53f1b04788

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Site Team

John, I've considered something along the same lines.

I really like the bedrolls in the link below, but they can get pricey very quickly. I've already contacted this company, and they can make a left hand zipper model so I could zip two of these together, and can zip a thinner version to a thicker version, just what I'm looking for.

http://www.butlerbags.com/cms/Product_M ... tedLink=MC

Herb
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #18

Herb

I had mine made as just an outter shell. I can put any type of sleeping bag I like inside. I also had them put a full length zipper down both sides. I can't remember if they are 2 way zippers or not. On some nights I'll zip both sides down and tuck the top of the bedroll out of the way. This allows me to change sleeping bags to match the temperature of the season.

The company I used made the thing out of pretty heavy canvas. The only knock I have on it is the stiffness of the the canvas.

Since I use the van more for day trips rafting than anything else I really like the level of protection it gives to the bedding. I also don't have to worry about dust covering my sleeping bag after a long trip on those dirt roads.

I think the people who made mine were located in Idaho but it looks like these guys could probably do some custom work for you.

http://www.sheridantent.com/sleepingbagcover.html

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #19

Herb

This is my bed setup. The bedroll only has one way zippers.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Site Team

Now you need to have a custom mini bedroll made for mini-Gnar.