Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Dash swap questions

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I have a 96 7.3 E350 and I'd like to swap the dash to an 08-14 dash. I'm sure there's a million reasons why this would be a pain in the butt. Anyone have experience with this or know anyone that's done it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Scottienoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 AM   #2

Biggest issue will be the cluster. Your cluster uses a completely different architecture than the newer vans, so you can't just swap the new cluster in. And the clusters are not the same shape. You'll have to either trim your existing cluster to fit, cut a custom panel and use universal gauges from somebody like VDO or AutoMeter, or have a full custom cluster built by Dakota Digital.

Fortunately the HVAC controls are common all the back to '92.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Yeah I was more wondering if anyone has swapped everything including the gauge cluster. I thought I saw somewhere in the past where people were able to do this in F-series trucks. My theory is if I was able to swap everything including the harness and computer it might be doable if I could get the 6.4 brain to talk to the 7.3 engine. This is big in the Honda markets. Popping a 2.0 V-tech in an Integra for instance, They sell pig tail adapters that make the Civic brain talk to the Acura harness properly so the thing can run and all the gauges work and stuff. Theoretically In my case I would just need the 6.4 brain to think the 7.3 is a 6.4. I just read this back and It sounds crazy hahaha
Old 03-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #4

New cluster is CAN-BUS. Yours is not. I suppose somebody could make a custom controller to code your analog signals into CAN-BUS data. It won't be cheap or easy.

It should be feasible to do it in a 2004 6.0 PSD because it uses CAN-BUS.

It does look somebody has tried however. The cluster differences are basically the same E-to-F series so this is relevant:

https://youtu.be/NMJ_AXJERv8
Old 03-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

On the gauge, I remember reading and article where someone used the gauge inners from a 2004 with the faces from an 08 when doing the a similar swap. That would seem to be the best option, but not familiar with 96 cluster, except it is lacking a rev counter. The swap also wasn’t that simple as faces, since you needed to resolder idiot lights as such.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

I have a wiring harness from a 2009 6.0L and a cluster from a 2009/2010 with diesel tach.

make offer

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post283089

I've been a long way down this path of dash interfacing before. It can be a time suck. differences between your year and the 2009+ vans are extensive.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #7

So in my research today i found these guys
https://www.swaphelper.com/product-p...cluster-helper

I reached out to them and the guys basically said that it'll only work on a 99 and up. I guess now the question is what are the main differences between the 96 7.3/tranny combo and the 99 7.3 tranny combo. Wondering if i could yank the harness and comp out of the 99-2003 and run it to the 08-14 gauges with a swap helper chip. Depending on the price i might just try and get both and see if it works. If the van runs then buy the chip and gauges and cross my fingers....