Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2022, 09:16 PM   #1

DIY plumbing system help needed

Need some input from the plumbing gurus here. I've begun accumulating the parts to put together my basic water system in my DIY van. I was limited on space and the tank that fit best and maximized my space has 3/8" fittings. The Sureflo pump I picked up has 1/2" fittings. My question is, should I keep all my plumbing lines sized to match the tank outlet at 3/8" or step up to 1/2"?

I should also mention the tank is molded ABS with 3/8" fittings for fill, outlet and vent. So I will be keeping the plumbing/pex size consistent for all three.

This is the tank I purchased for reference: Valterra R8030

Thanks!

ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #2

My tank and pump fittings were about the same size as yours. I used 1/2” pex with appropriate adapters.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #3

Garage
For ease of access, when you install your water tank I would first install the “deck plate” mod many here have done (provides easy access to the inside, great for winterizing and cleaning):
https://www.amazon.com/Beckson-6-Inc...%2C135&sr=8-16

Depending on how you position your tank, Looks like you can use the 6” deck plate so you’d be able to get your hand inside if needed.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
My tank and pump fittings were about the same size as yours. I used 1/2” pex with appropriate adapters.

Thanks, that’s the option I was hoping to go with. Once converted from 3/8, it’s much easier to source the tubing and fittings in 1/2”
Old 06-16-2022, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
For ease of access, when you install your water tank I would first install the “deck plate” mod many here have done (provides easy access to the inside, great for winterizing and cleaning):
https://www.amazon.com/Beckson-6-Inc...%2C135&sr=8-16

Depending on how you position your tank, Looks like you can use the 6” deck plate so you’d be able to get your hand inside if needed.

Good call. This tank is baffled so I’ll need to use my inspection camera to make sure the port will fit
Old 06-16-2022, 12:27 PM   #6

2nd on the going with 1/2"
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:56 PM   #7

Garage
I agree with the consensus and would go with 1/2" as it's a lot easier to find fittings in 1/2". Also, I would highly suggest the deck plate that Twoxentrix suggested if you can. When I added the "deck plate"/inspection hatch I was able to clean the inside of the tank much easier and it allowed me to add additives and cleaner to the tank easily. Those two things helped a lot with making the water taste normal.
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #8

A terrific idea TWOxentrix -- Any gasket needed - or silicone sealing with the deck plate - or does it seal enough to prevent water leaking and guessing no vacuum issues ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #9

Garage
Deck plate should come with a gasket, but would certainly use some marine silicone. I put a small bead on the bottom and top of the gasket. I also recommend stainless nuts & bolts, but make sure you place a washer on each bolt on the inside of the tank (I did put a dab of silicone in each hole). Project is really very simple.
I still have the hole saw I used Russ, can send it to you if you have interest.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:37 PM   #10

DIY plumbing system help needed

Awesome feedback, especially the Pex and inspection port. Those are both definitely on my list now.

Here's the rough outline of the system. Main purpose is mostly for showers (propane shower/water heater), I ride dirt bikes and mountain bikes and get pretty gritty while I'm out. I'm not opposed to jugs for drinking water, but having everything integrated and fed off one tank would be convenient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blank diagram.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	44334