Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #1

Dometic RM2192 doesn't want to work on any of the 3 modes

Dealing with a new to me '89 SMB. I'm guessing this is the original fridge just based on the looks of it?

The previous owner made it sound like it worked but it was too much of a pain or a battery hog so he rarely used it. Fast forward a couple of weeks since I've owned the van and been on a few trips and I'm just now getting around to looking into the fridge. There's been bigger issues to deal with and we also have a nice yeti cooler so it hasn't been a priority.

I tried it on propane, it doesn't seem to ever light the pilot. Propane does work, furnace and range work great.

I tried it on AC while plugged into shore power. It draws power from the inverter but nothing happens.

I tried it on DC, nothing happens, no load on the battery.

Before I start looking into replacements, anything I should check or something easy I'm missing?

dfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

Re: Dometic RM2192 doesn't want to work on any of the 3 mode

You have an older style 3-way RV fridge. Most SMBs don't have these, so you're probably going to get more troubleshooting ideas on an RV specific forum. I recommend Woodall's/Open Roads forum. It's huge and organized and tons of help there. I don't think SMB has put this style of fridge in probably since the late 90's.
Anyway, as for the propane operation, you've most likely got a clogged orifice. This is a tiny jet at the bottom of the burner. You can usually see it behind a little door towards the bottom of the burner, which is the 'check' door for the pilot light. It can be cleaned with a needle or compressed air and a small brush. They fill with cobwebs and rust over time. Also, you may just need a new control board. IIRC, Dinosaur boards are good ones. I've bought a couple.
A local RV shop is your friend as it sounds like you have a basic RV propane fridge. This is the most common problem with RV fridges.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #3

Oh, I thought of another thing to consider. These older ammonia fridges seem to work best on propane, decent on AC, and only marginally on DC. They are very efficient on propane so I would focus on that if you can. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Oh, I thought of another thing to consider. These older ammonia fridges seem to work best on propane, decent on AC, and only marginally on DC. They are very efficient on propane so I would focus on that if you can. Good luck.

If it is an ammonia-based fridge, I can tell you firsthand that if they develop leaks, it is shear misery to breath that stuff. My in-laws have a fifth wheel on their property they use as a bedroom for visitors. My wife and I were staying there when the fridge started leaking.

Herb
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

See if you can find a 12 volt compressor refrigerator that is of the same dimensions. If it fits the hole the rest is easy to change over. I gave up on gas refrigerators a long time ago.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt
See if you can find a 12 volt compressor refrigerator that is of the same dimensions. If it fits the hole the rest is easy to change over. I gave up on gas refrigerators a long time ago.
Agreed. I would upgrade if it's not a simple fix. Don't get too freaked out by this but ammonia fridges are a big fire hazard if they leak. I wouldn't worry too much though, every RV has one in it almost.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

Haven't had a chance yet but I think before I give up on it I'll swing by a local RV place and see if they can get it to work on propane. It would be nice to have. At the same time I think we can totally live without it, I may just pull it out and use that space as more storage. A while back I invested in a Yeti cooler which I love and it fits perfectly in the rear drivers side storage area.
dfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
These older ammonia fridges seem to work best on propane, decent on AC, and only marginally on DC. They are very efficient on propane so I would focus on that if you can. Good luck.
I'm not sure if this is why they don't work well on DC, but propane (absorption) refrigerators take a huge amount of electricity to run (on either AC or DC). Of course, on AC, you're usually plugged in so there is plenty to go around; but on DC they are formidable. I don't remember specifics, but if a small compressor style refrigerator would take something like 4 amps to run on DC, a propane (3-way) might take 18 amps or something like that. Not hard to imagine that not going well over a period of time on batteries I suspect most DC use is while driving.

But like you said, efficient on propane.

But these days if a reasonable amount of solar is an option, I'd tend to opt for a compressor unit. 'Course you have the propane one, so it's natural to try to get it working.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote