Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #1

Door shelves delaminated, need repair advice

Hi all,

The center portion of all four of my drop down door shelve surface laminate/counter tops have completely lifted off from where they're supposed to be adhered. The sides are still stuck, but the centers have bubbled and won't restick. I obviously have to completely peel them off and reglue, but not sure how to without damaging the laminate and not sure what glue product to use. Any suggestions are appreciated!

PNWschusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

Garage
Could always consider masking the issue by applying a self adhesive rubber matting over the top of the shelves - I've used this stuff to line the inside of the drawers to keep 'rattles' to a minimum. Would also keep anything on the shelf from moving and/or sliding off. It's available in many sizes.
https://www.amazon.com/NATGAI-Neopre...on%2C64&sr=1-3
Old 08-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #3

Can you post a picture of the problem?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #4

I think my explanation is confusing... Here is a picture of the counter top material. It's hard to see, but only the edges are stuck right now. The rest is bubbled up. The same goes for the rear and the other barndoor counter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	counterlaminate.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	45221
Old 08-16-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
If you’re able to peel the laminate off without it cracking or breaking using a putty knife to work it off as you go, try 3M super77 spray adhesive. Follow directions, spray both sides generously, let it tack up, reinstall, use a roller to help set it.
Unfortunately, it might be the really thin stuff, so if you can’t remove the existing laminate successfully, you might have to replace it.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #6

Make a new one.........Reuse the side banding if you can get it off successfully. The old wood product will continue to degrade.

I've done this for several members here....one SMB countertop and one door.........and my neighbor's RV tabbletop.

Use a heat gun to attempt removal of old laminate....go slow.

Remove side banding and clean up edges as best you can....then follow this:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ial-14419.html
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
I think my explanation is confusing... Here is a picture of the counter top material. It's hard to see, but only the edges are stuck right now. The rest is bubbled up. The same goes for the rear and the other barndoor counter.

Attachment 45221
The best solution would be to remove and re-glue, as mentioned on previous post. But you could try the old flooring trick, where you drill a pin hole in the laminate, then use a syringe to get glue under the laminate. Probably have to do a few holes for what you are dealing with. If you get it right, when you glue it back down and get pressure on it, the glue will seal and fill the pin hole for you. So remember to use some form of non stick and / or tape around the pin hole to stop the glue coming up through the hole and sticking to the top/face surface when you apply pressure.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #8

Just "brainstorming" here - which can be dangerous knowing my brain ! -- what's the chance of removing all of the MDF (?) wood by router or datto (?) to a depth of say 1/4 inch - and then replace with new layer of maybe birch 1/4 inch -- and re-glue some new layer ? Sounds like a lot of work - but depends on your talent and time I guess -- I'll shut up now !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
That brings up a good point, I hadn’t thought about the fact that the shelf material was MDF, ah the good old days!
It may have pitted and flaked off chunks that are now stuck to the laminate, or swelled from moisture, in either case you won’t have a good flat surface to glue it back on to.
If that’s the case, I’d pull the shelves, use them as templates to trace out new ones on some quality 1/2” birch ply and pick out a new laminate.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Just "brainstorming" here - which can be dangerous knowing my brain ! -- what's the chance of removing all of the MDF (?) wood by router or datto (?) to a depth of say 1/4 inch - and then replace with new layer of maybe birch 1/4 inch -- and re-glue some new layer ? Sounds like a lot of work - but depends on your talent and time I guess -- I'll shut up now !
Ummm yeah no. I appreciate your advice, but I'm going to try the simple fix first of removing the laminate. It is about a mm thick but seems pretty flexible which may mean it won't crack. If that fails, then I will likely just remove it, sand off the dried glue, and cut a new piece to glue back on.