Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

E350 seat repair

My ford e350 seat was looking pretty tattered, only on the bottom though . So I ordered just the bottom section for $200.00 from Richmond Auto Upholstery. Slapped that puppy on this afternoon took a couple hours and some hog ring pliers. I am very pleased how it turned out ! I also bought their leather steering wheel cover that I sewed on the other day that is pretty nice . Now the cockpit is ready for the road !
Attached Thumbnails
76791C69-0995-465B-A86A-8CA02ED3EEEB.jpg   F121EC7B-CD81-4F86-9685-9674476F1EB7.jpg   C6CCABBC-0DD8-4B56-999E-7617F36615AF.jpg   6B45C470-B0C7-4B19-86D4-663CBF424E3E.jpg  

PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That's a lot more work than originally planned I'm betting?

Looks nice though---good job!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

That's awesome!

Redoing seats, removing the factory covers to get at the innards intimidates most otherwise mechanically very competent DIY'ers. I'm not sure why.

Good job jumping in and tackling it like a boss!

To anyone else thinking about recovering their seats, removing and repairing UV eaten foam is nothing more than cut out the bad, splice in new foam of a similar density, shape, glue in place w/3M upholstery glue. Doesn't' have to be perfect or even sorta good, fair is fine inthis case, the cover smooths out 1/4" steps and transistions and you never even see them.

Once you own a pair of hogring pliers (available from Eastwood) replacing original style seat covers just is reverse order of your careful removal, and takes a little patience. A little trick is to turn the new covers inside out and put them in the clothes dryer for 10 min to remove wrinkles, and most importantly softens up the vinyl which makes it pliable and easy to work with.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanks fellas . I’ve done this once before on my old z71 pickup years ago and that one was leather and looked great as well . My foam wasn’t in too bad of shape so I used some foam and craft glue and a little shoe goo also to join back the tear . I think just about anyone could do this repair it was quite easy and very satisfying after having a tattered looking seat for the past year !
Old 09-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

How well did the color of the new bottom piece match the original still on the back? That steering wheel cover looks like it was made by Wheelskins out of Berkeley. I did a lot of machinery repair for them years ago.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Hey Arctictraveler the picture is hard to tell , but I think it looks 100% factory original matching the color pattern and feel of the upholstery. I can’t notice any difference and seems very well made .
Attached Thumbnails
344F85BC-5EF6-4357-A61C-DEE9B911E379.jpg  
PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ looks great man, nice work!

Did that seat bottom have any springs that you had to deal with? I’ve reupholstered bucket seats that had little springs that help pull certain parts of the cover tighter in spots to help make the bolsters keep their shape better.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

Hey Shenrie, zero springs involved! I wish I took more pictures .. this was only my second time ever doing something like this so the best I can explain is there is about a 1’ reinforced square section directly center of the seat upholstery bottom that is raised maybe half an inch ? And you hog tie that directly to the foam and that keeps its shape. The foam is imbedded with a track to attach it .
Old 09-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #9

Garage
Got it and thanks. Seats in our older van are a lot different but seeing as how those are shaped more like sportscar seats I was just curious. I’ve been on the hunt for some of the newer style eseries seats and for what you paid for a replacement cover it would be worth it to pick up some wore ones if they were cheap enough.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

You've inspired me. What was included in the "bottom section"? Was the drivers seat a power seat? I wish there was someplace closer than VA.
wilma is offline   Reply With Quote