Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. After a pile of web searching I have decided to make my own.

I'm going to build an aluminum frame that when raised the sides will fold down to match the interior angle of the high top. When lowered it will be full span of the interior width at window height.

This Will be a slow build but when its done I will post some photos.

carnott54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #12

I am looking to a similar thing, but more to expand space under the bed so I can have my mountain bikes inside rather than on a bike rack outside when in bad weather or bad areas... My idea was to still have the bed usable when it is lifted with just having less head space when in bed.

As many have mentioned, the e-serries have a a whole set of issues that people with sprinters and the like don’t have....being sloped walls.

My plan is to actually go with linear actuators and use them to push the bed up. You can get linear actuators that have throws up to 60” and 400lb per actuator. It will take some shade tree engineering, but you can pretty much get everything off McMaster Carr from the actuators to track s for the bed to ride on to carts to go in the track.

Looking forward to see what you do! I should be to that step in my build hopefully by April!
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnott54 View Post
I'm Looking into the idea of having an aluminum bed frame that lowers down from the ceiling. This way when not in use as a camper I still have plenty of room for hauling dirt bikes and its not in the way. (I have a High Top)

Has anyone done this sort of thing in an Econoline. I have seen plenty of sprinter vans with beds like this.
I'm in the same situation. Companies aren't doing E-series much but there are those of us who love the van and still want to set them up the best way possible. I checked out a link to a great company but the Canada shop did the E vans but they aren't open anymore. I'm going to watch this thread...
ldyhseplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #14

Garage
If you got similar actuators and built a easy up system like ccv uses for their tops you could easily raise it up 3-4’. You’d have to have the portion that raised up narrow enough that it could raise up into the pop top area. Then when in a lower mode it would nest into a spot where your bed was full width again. If the weather was nice you could nap upstairs where airflow is better.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:40 PM   #15

Did anyone ever get this done? Sounds like it may be do-able, my partner and I are trying to do the same thing!
Tborton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 PM   #16

This sounds awesome! Did anyone ever get this done? Sounds like it may be do-able, my partner and I are trying to do the same thing!
Tborton is offline   Reply With Quote