Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #1

Econoline Suspended Bed Frame??

I'm Looking into the idea of having an aluminum bed frame that lowers down from the ceiling. This way when not in use as a camper I still have plenty of room for hauling dirt bikes and its not in the way. (I have a High Top)

Has anyone done this sort of thing in an Econoline. I have seen plenty of sprinter vans with beds like this.

carnott54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

Garage
Don’t know of an Econoline, but @86Scotty did it in a Transit with vertical e-track.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #3

Pretty sure the sprinter stuff could be adapted. I am assuming you want something that can be lowered by the push of a button and not L track that would require you to fasten the bed rails at a new level while holding the mattress out of the way.

You could try this
https://www.wildernessvans.com/produ...cana-lift-bed/
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Garage
I haven't tried this but a straightforward idea....

Check out this DIY approach from this youtube channel.

Uses 4 linear actuators to lower & raise the bed at each corner as needed, around $35 for each actuator (posted in Oct 2019). Reverse polarity to lower vs. raise so easy to implement with a toggle switch...
vanlife leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Garage
Adventure Wagon has the MOAB Bed for Transit vans. Easily raisable and removable. Pricey, but nice solution.
https://adventurewagon.com/products/...t-148-mid-roof

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

We bought the van, and there are things I would have done a little differently, but this is the setup.

Full sized mattress, and some "cabinets" on the passengers side for storage.

The bed platform is literally a 1/2" ply platform with 1/2" ply for support, with 1"x1"s at the bottoms and tops of the supports to help anchor to them. This is Essentually the back done of the platform. There are 1"x1" supports on the ends as well that support a horizontal plywood stringer across the van (which is screwed into the body as well). At the front/back there is a 2x4 mounted to that stringer.

Clearly the guy that built it was a wood worker / dooms day prepper, because its WAY overkill and the space below the bed is really oddly shaped which makes it hard to use.

If I had to build a platform bed I'd use E-track mounted to the body (or stringers if you are finishing the inside) and make it a little more adjustable and ditch most of the support. I ran E-track up to 8' spans with 2x4's in a few trailers for tire racks, bed frames, etc and loved it. 1/2" ply and a few 2x4's will hold a TON of weight.

Hope this helps!
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

Garage
Happy Jack makes a 12v system, a buddy used them in his toyhauler.

I think the walls are sloped too much in the Econoline to make it work. The jacks would have to be set in from the walls.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I think the walls are sloped too much in the Econoline to make it work. The jacks would have to be set in from the walls.
This is a very real consideration. I wanted a bed lift in my big Dodge highroof but did some measuring and found out that a bed lifted up to rain gutter level could only be about 57" wide whereas a bed at the bottom of the window level could be 72" wide. Standard, non-lifting IKEA Skorvo bed crossmember shown
Old 01-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlife leprechaun View Post

Uses 4 linear actuators to lower & raise the bed at each corner as needed, around $35 for each actuator (posted in Oct 2019). Reverse polarity to lower vs. raise so easy to implement with a toggle switch...
This is brilliant, simple and cheap. I would definitely go this route if I did it again.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
Adventure Wagon has the MOAB Bed for Transit vans. Easily raisable and removable. Pricey, but nice solution.
https://adventurewagon.com/products/...t-148-mid-roof
I think this would be a great solution for an E-series due to the curved walls...if it were available turnkey, and not so expensive.