Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #1

Electric cooktop

Would like to eliminate the propane and go with an electric cooktop. I am interested in the Summit CR1115 model; 110 volt and 1200 watt. I have the AGM 4D auxiliary battery and the TRIP-LITE inverter 2000, I do not have solar. I do not cook much but would like it to function properly off of the battery. Any suggestions or possibly a different cooktop? Thanks for your advice.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

Re: Electric cooktop

That will draw 100 amps from your (only one?) battery. That is not good for the battery and will run it down in 30 minutes or less if there are any other current draws. Even when you have shore power, the cooktop will not be as hot as propane. I would consider a small stove with propane cartridges.

David
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

What llamadave said - get a small butane one burner stove that is meant for catering. They are small, easy to use, and portable so you could take it outside if you wanted to. Best of all? They are about $20. I pack a regular car camping stove in the back of the van for outdoor duty, but always pull the little guy out for making morning coffee in the van.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing, I also have a small portable butane stove but it is so slow I really don't like it. I was hoping for another alternative.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Thanks for sharing, I also have a small portable butane stove but it is so slow I really don't like it. I was hoping for another alternative.
There are different models of those little butane stoves, some of them have as much or more burner BTUs as a typical propane camping stove. We were just down at Sportsmobile yesterday and the owner (Alan) showed us the ones they use, he said he used one in his own van.

We are also looking at a propane delete and using a portable stove, but I am leaning toward one of the heavier-duty 2 burner types like the river runners use (not the huge ones on stands, but the table-top models). I do a lot of wok cooking and am used to using high-power burners.

I wouldn't use it on high in the van, but would like to be able to cook "properly" outside! You can always turn the burner down if you are inside, but you can't get it any hotter than it's designed output...

Bob
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #6

I looked at my butane stove and can not find any BTU rating. How many BTU's do you need to cook at a normal rate (comparable to propane or electric)? Any particuliar brands that you favor?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I did get a bit tired of dealing with the butane stove for inside cooking. I'm definately not an indoor cooking person and do most meals outside on both a propane BBQ and/or a propane stove but I found myself getting that little stove out more often than I ever thought I would. It wasn't even a thought when the van design was done. JMO, but it's kind of a PITA plus I have to carry a different fuel.
My van is at SMB right now and one of the upgrades is installing the flush mount stove. It will be rigged up to connect to a standard BBQ style tank outside to run the inside stove (kind of a reverse extenda-flow setup). For me by myself it will free up a little space and because I usually carry a couple of 1 gallon propane tanks I don't have a problem just using those for a quick cup of coffee, cup of soup or steaming some vegetables. I do have a propane door that holds all my electrical, so adding the propane inlet wasn't an issue. I did have to add (and wanted) a propane detector. This isn't a cheap mod by any means but on those windy nights where I'm stuck inside I think it will be worth the cost. YMMV

Here is my outside setup I use most of the time:

I think those times that I'm on the run and moving, only having to pull out a small tank for an evening inside or just not having to set up an outside kitchen is going to be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Stove.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
I looked at my butane stove and can not find any BTU rating. How many BTU's do you need to cook at a normal rate (comparable to propane or electric)? Any particuliar brands that you favor?
We have one at home that we bought at the local asian restaurant supply store that we use for fondue, sukiyaki, and that sort of thing at the table. It's not hot enough for wok cooking, though, unless you want to boil everything to death...

But, if I were getting one to cook on regularly, this is the one I would get:

http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-000BTU-Po ... B00522F2R2

Costs over 3 times what I paid for mine, but with 15,000 BTU it equals the burners on my pro-style gas range. That's anywhere from half-again to twice what a normal house gas range burner puts out.

Goes through the little cannisters pretty quick on high, though -- if you figure a typical wok cookup takes anywhere from 3-10 minutes, depending on what you are doing, you'd go through a cannister a week, at least, just cooking once a day in the wok.

My issue with these would be the cannister cost and availability. What I would prefer is a two-burner propane stove with this much output per burner, that I could just hook up to a 10 or 20 lb cylinder, or even use with 1 pound disposables if I had to. Some of the outfitter-style propane stoves will do that. Or, we could just get a regular Coleman-style propane stove and a separate wok burner and stand. I'd actually prefer that, but it takes up additional storage space.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

If that is what you want, do go for the better made models. The cheaper ones work OK but mine (bought from SMB) is on the poor grade side. It's hard to keep a low flame, doesn't engage the canster well, and overall looks cheap. I think they all go through fuel quickly.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #10

This is my idea of a suitable camping stove...there are others out there similar. Camp Chef makes a couple with higher output burners about the same size, but they are heavier, being cast iron.

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/st ... 2wind.html