Old 05-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

Espar d5 - no start, no error codes

I'm a relatively new SMB owner (2010 EB50) and have run into some issues with my Espar D5 unit. This board has been super helpful for trouble-shooting, but now I'm stumped. Importantly, I have not been able to get any error codes from the controller, even after going into dA mode, nothing shows. I do have the altitude kit and I have read in some places that this will prevent error codes showing. Fact or fiction?

Attached are photos of my system. Here's the chronology of the problem and things I've tried.

Switched on the "system", "furnace" and "hot water" toggles. Recirculation pumps come on, D5 fuel pump clicks, D5 winds up, no start. It tries again, then quits. No error codes. I shut everything down and retry x4-6 times.

Pull the fuel filter from the pump, looks pretty clean, but I soak with isopropyl alcohol and replace. Still no start.

Go to the gas station and fill the fuel tank (was at about 2/5 full) and test the water heater again, but the van engine is hot. Lots of hot water and hot air from furnace (note, this is not a D4 furnace, just hot water circulating from engine or D5). The heat now is not from the D5 unit, just from recirculation off the engine coolant.

Next morning, I try to start the hot water heater but now no fuel pump clicking at all. Just recirculation pumps and nothing else. Argg, going backwards now.

I pulled the wiring harness to the fuel pump and hot wired 12v battery to fuel pump directly. It makes a single click each time I pulse power. Is that what it should do?

I was worried that all my restart attempts have locked up the control unit, but I can't tell for sure. I have pulled all three fuses (D5 and Altitude under the bench seat, and the 20A in the main fuse section) to attempt a reset. All look fine. Note that I did not need to remove any fuses during the 6-8 restarts the day before.

Now I am out of ideas. Without any error codes I am in the dark. Does anyone else have the high altitude kit with the D5 and know if you can see error codes? Any ideas what to try next?
Attached Thumbnails
full control panel.jpg   espar unit.jpg   ESPAR D5WS.jpg  

coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #2

Help is on the way

Rixens.com. 18009256260 ask for Mike. he can help. Good luck

salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

^^^^Ditto the above. You have tried everything I would have tried, I do not have the high altitude kit. Rixens knows their stuff, call and ask or pull and send, they will get you straightened out.