Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #1

Espar Diesel Heater Controls / thermostat

We have an Espar Diesel heater in our 2009 Ford E-350 Sportsmobile. It appears the heater works well as long as 1/3 of the fuel tank is full. However, the heater turns off after about 2 hours, then needs to be restarted. My wife will be taking the van for a girls trip, and I was hoping to come up with a controller / thermostat that could be set to a temperature for extended periods of time ( all night ).
Anyone have any thoughts? I'm wondering if the heater is designed to shut off, so you don't run out of fuel?

ToddH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #2

Garage
What model controller are you using? I have the “easy start pro” with small led screen. It allows you to adjust run time from 5 min to infinity, also obviously temperature. I’ve had in my van for 3 years with no issues. It will run for days on end when I need it to. I see its still available at Heatso.com under heater parts/heater controllers. I’ve used them for all my heater needs, super fast shipping. I don’t not have any experience with other controllers so I have no other input.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:33 AM   #3

Yep, controller info needed. Most have a preset run time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #4

Check https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ton-10029.html to see if it matches your setup.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #5

Please post a picture of the Espar controller. As stated, there is normally an adjustable timer setting that can be adjusted.

re: 1/3rd of a tank - will the heater run at all with a quarter of a tank of fuel?
Old 03-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #6

Garage
If you received a Sportsmobile Binder with the purchase of your Van, it should be inside. Otherwise try This:
https://esparparts.com/techsupport/p...-2012%20EN.pdf

EDIT: These Fault code descriptions will also come in handy down the road:
https://esparparts.com/techsupport/p...RIES/codes.pdf

EDIT (AGAIN): I was also given this advise years ago...Rarely happens, but if If the heater has "locked out" and the controller is indicating failure to start (for Belief error 10 on digital or flashing red LED on manual controller, for Eberspacher flashing LED on controller), remove the fuse and put it back to reset. Restart the heater and try this up to 8 times.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:25 AM   #7

Wow!... thank you all for the helpful responses! The van is 1500 miles away in storage making it difficult to get a picture. I'll be out there at the end of the month and will gather more information.
ToddH is offline   Reply With Quote