Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Re: Espar furnace shutting off

Did anyone figure this issue out? I run great at the start and for several hours nice heat. Middle of night it seems to shut down with no codes? Someone mentioned low voltage, but I don't belive that is issue as I am normally always over 12 volts.
thoughts? Are they on a timer of some sort?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Did anyone figure this issue out? I run great at the start and for several hours nice heat. Middle of night it seems to shut down with no codes? Someone mentioned low voltage, but I don't belive that is issue as I am normally always over 12 volts.
thoughts? Are they on a timer of some sort?
Our install doesn't have the fancy thermostat control panel, just the dial and 3 buttons. The thermostat / ambient temp sensor is actually down on top of the actual blower unit (behind the Left Rear wheel well in our RB50 layout).
We found that the key to having the Espar work all night is to open up the hatch in the bottom of the closet and leave it and the closet door open. This lets the cold air in the cabin get into that otherwise confined space and trigger the sensor.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #13

Garage

I've never had any issues with mine; however, I did learn early on that there is a toggle switch located next to my controller that you need to flip in order for the thermostat to work. If you don't flip the switch, then the heater runs for a set time (I think mine is set at 2 hours) and then turns off. Didn't figure it out until I read the manual that was supplied with the SMB 3-ring binder. Our altitude switch is located to the left of the controller and the other switch is located to the right. I believe my altitude switch is set at 6,000 feet. I have a 2006 RB 50 and the controller is mounted on the passenger side above the bench seat.

Hope that helps. That's all I know about the unit. Make sure your exhaust is clear and you have nothing around your air intake.

Mike
Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Carl IIRC you can program the run time. Default is 2 hours like MKRyan has posted. And on mine (and yours might be different) if I don't flip the run switch on first, I have to let the unit completely shut down, then flip the switch on and re-start the unit or it will run the programmed time and stop. Happens to me almost 2 or 3 times a year. If the unit is running and I turn off that switch, the timer changes and does a 15 min countdown then automatically shuts down. In the morning I usually open the doors, crank the thermostat to full, kill the switch and the heater will run on high for 15 min. I actually don't know if it helps burn off the carbon or not. It also seems I've had less trouble with both Airtronic and Hydronic since I started using cetane booster in the fuel. Again, no proof it hurts or helps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #15

I have the small digital control with basic on/off and up or down arrows. The "toggle" you reference is located on or near the heating unit? And this then is either set to run some set time, or just "on?" I did notice a little box (maybe 3x3) outside the heater unit mounted near it. Do not recall any toggle switch.

2010 SMB
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #16

Garage

The newer versions that have the digi-controller allow you to program how long the unit stays on. I believe the thermostat is purely for the fan blower and has no ability to turn-on/off the Hydronic unit.

See last page in the link below for instructions on how to adjust the times.

http://www.esparparts.com/techsuppor...%2007-2012.pdf

Modes for controller with 6 presets:
n0 deg C, continuous run
n1 deg F, continuous run
n2 deg C, 1 hour duration
n 3 deg F, 1 hour duration
n4 deg C, 10 hour duration
n5 deg F, 10 hour duration (Factory preset)

Modes for controller with 8 presets:
n0 degC, continuous run time
n1 degC, 1 hour run time
n2 degC, 4 hour run time
n3 degC, 10 hour run time
n4 degF, continuous run time
n5 degF, 1 hour run time
n6 degF, 4 hour run time
n7 degF, 10 hour run time (Factory preset)
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
I have the small digital control with basic on/off and up or down arrows. The "toggle" you reference is located on or near the heating unit? And this then is either set to run some set time, or just "on?" I did notice a little box (maybe 3x3) outside the heater unit mounted near it. Do not recall any toggle switch.
I figured you had the newer unit (not as new as what Ron just posted) being your van is a 2010 which most came with the timer. So I take it you don't have a digital display? If that's the case you have a problem causing it to code out. A benefit of the display is it will show a code giving you an idea on what the problem is. At a minimum then there should be an altitude switch. Do you have that? It is a standalone toggle with a 1-2 on it.

I pulled this off the web. Sorry for the crappy picture.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #18

I do have the digi controller. shows no error codes.
Called Espar, they suggested removing the gray wire from controller which has temperature read from the unit vs controller. Maybe controller thermostat is not working correct. Will be testing a few things soon. thanks!

2010 SMB
Old 10-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

I went from the standard control (no display) with the altitude kit (a single 1-2 switch) to the timer model with display and an on off switch (which defeats the run timer) that is showed in the picture. W/O turning on the defeat switch, it will only operate for the selected pre-programmed time. Not saying there isn't other type systems but I would ask Espar if having a display means the unit can be ran longer that the max run time. The way mine works is the heater can be set to auto-start at any specific time, 3 times within a week but the run time can also be adjusted. Like I posted, the default run time is 2 hours.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #20

Another thing to check is that you have enough fresh air return to the unit and that nothing is blocking the intake. Mine would only run on the high thermo setting until I pulled the gaucho apart and found that the seat belts that had fallen behind the seat were partially blocking the air intake for the blower fan.