Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #161

Bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one...

Getting codes 052 and 054. D4 heater with Digi thermo starts and runs through one "cycle" and gets close to requested temp but usually doesn't quite get there, and then never runs again but doesn't turn off (meaning green light on controller stays on).

I'm going to install a new fuel screen and glow screen but reading through this thread I realize I've never inspected the intake hose. I have a 2010 Ford RB50, where would this typically be installed?

crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #162

Combustion air intake will be one of the two hoses under the van, the non metal one. The air intake for cabin air is normally the end of the D4 itself. If the hose clamps
for the combustion intake and exhaust under the van are easily accessed, I would pull those off and make sure The hoses are clear of obstructions. The cabin intake opening needs to be clear as does the vent where th heat comes out.

The fuel screen could be what is clogged, just guessing the glow plug is probably okay. There is also a very small diameter hole/passage that needs to be clear of any fuel residue. You will need the special tool to remove the glow plug if you are not disassembling the heater.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #163

Thanks for the info. Hoping to give it a look after work today!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:17 PM   #164

Smile

Think I found my problem!

At the end of the combustion air intake hose I found what appears to be a homemade filter attached and I believe this was suffocating the heater. I'm guessing this is something the original owner installed, but maybe Sportsmobile installed it? Here are some photos of the filter. Either way, I removed it and the heater ran stronger and longer than it has since I owned it.

I'm thinking I'll leave it off and install a cap as was previously mentioned in this thread. I could try cleaning out the filter if this is something that others are successfully using but it looks very restrictive to me, even if the filter is clean.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #165

Garage
If you are only using the Espar while stationary, there's no need for the filter if you are going to keep the intake tube capped. I put a little sign on my controller to remind me to remove the cap before starting up since it's easy to forget after a long drive and just hit the button. A sure way to foul the heater.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #166

Sweet!! Pretty fancy looking filter but wondering how it allows air to flow well.

My approach was no filter, end of the intake hose sits above the fuel tank away from any debris. I do not run the heater while moving so the air should be pretty clean. If I get into a very windy and dusty situation, I would consider some type of long foam air filter to draw through.

I have found that running the heater on high for 5 to 10 mins before shut down is important. Some else mentioned running some kerosene through the heater occasionally, that sounds like a good idea too.

Now you have spare parts!