Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #1

Espar hot water and heat kit

I finally broke down and ordered the espar hydronic rv kit. I got the gasoline B5S model with high altitude kit. I ordered from heatso and it was here from UK in 2 days.
I will keep you posted on install/progress.
Attached Thumbnails
espar.jpg  

4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Garage
Thanks for posting. Look forward to following along.

I will buy a gas Espar before next winter. I have a flat plate using engine coolant that works fine with the engine running. Been pondering airtronic or hydronic...

I
Old 07-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

I'm in love with my Espar D4 for 3 years, I'm sure you will also love it.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Good luck with the install, I also would like to get one of these gasoline versions!Are you going to tap into your existing tank or add additional?
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #5

subscribed. our electric water heater needs replacement & we're interested in pulling the plug.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #6

When SMBTX did the D5 Hydronic in my rig, they said that the system needed a reserve tank for coolant, and adding a 1200W heater was an option, so that's what I did.

However, my D5 isn't connected to the engine (Fiat really doesn't like upfitters doing that), so maybe if the install is connected to the engine the radiator serves that purpose.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

If you are talking about over flow for coolant it comes with its own. I just failed to get it in the picture. I am not going to connect to the van coolant loop.
I have a flat plate hooked to the van coolant now and I am trying to get away from the long hoses running under the van.

Blowby
If you were talking about for fuel I am using factory tank.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #8

4x4,

I have been considering this same setup, neither have not found much info about it, so it will be good to hear your experiences.

I don’t see the B5 gas version on the Heatso website. Was there an up charge for the gas heater?

I am looking forward to your install. This setup seems like a simple way to get heat and water in a small package.

For those who have a flat-plate water heater, how long does it take to heat the water? Do you just start the heater to get hot water to wash dishes? Does the plate heater put off a lot of radiant heat?

Thanks
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
4x4,

I have been considering this same setup, neither have not found much info about it, so it will be good to hear your experiences.

I don’t see the B5 gas version on the Heatso website. Was there an up charge for the gas heater?

I am looking forward to your install. This setup seems like a simple way to get heat and water in a small package.

For those who have a flat-plate water heater, how long does it take to heat the water? Do you just start the heater to get hot water to wash dishes? Does the plate heater put off a lot of radiant heat?

Thanks
I had emailed them prior to purchase and all I had to do was add the D5 kit to cart and pay with paypal and they switched it to B5 with no up charge.
My guess is the heat will not heat the van but I was just looking for something to keep it above miserable.
I can't speak with experience about time to heat up but in my research I was told 3-5 minutes.
I have a flat plate now hooked to my engine loop and I can't tell a difference in radiant heat but I have it insulated well.
The air conditioner has no trouble keeping it frosty inside the van.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #10

The plate heater will heat the water pretty much instantly *if* the coolant is hot. You need to turn on the circulator pump so the hot coolant runs through the plate, but you won't necessarily need to fire the combustor up if the coolant is still hot from the last usage - in my unit's case, I can get hot water half an hour after running the furnace (assuming I've not been using the hydronic heat, and bled off all the heat that way).
If the ciculator isn't running, the plate will be cold, and if the circulator is running, the plate will only be at the temperature of the coolant (about 180F), and is small, so it doesn't really add much heat to the van.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote