Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Espar Overheating

OK, so I've posted many times before trying to get my Espar heater to work. The most recent upgrade was the digi-controller so I can see what's going wrong. Everything starts up just fine and runs hot for about 15 minutes and then it shuts down...the F12 code (overheating) is what's happening. I've checked the outside intake and exhaust hoses and there are no kinks and they are clean (no dirt or obstructions). I tried running a fan right on the unit itself hoping that the increased air flow for the interior intake would keep it from faulting out...no luck. What else could be wrong?
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Espar Overheating

What did you do with the altitude switch?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Espar Overheating

Where is the unit drawing in the air to heat? Is it from under a cabinet near an uninsulated wall perhaps or is it drawing it from within the living space? The Webasto and Espar are virtually the same and have an air temp sensor for the air being heated. If the unit runs continually trying to heat without cycling, it will produce the condition you describe.

The Webasto in my Freightliner was drawing in cold air from under the bed and overheating. I ran a fresh air intake from inside the sleeper and that fixed it.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

I do have the high altitude switch and it is always set to 2 as I live at 8300 ft. I have the standard RB50 plan and SMB did the install although I'm not the original owner. In the 50 plan, it's mounted in a somewhat enclosed space by the driver side rear wheel well but I would assume that since they install all of their units there in the 50 plan, then it should work just fine. The air it heats is being drawn from the "living space" and that's why I put a fan on it to see if it just wasn't drawing enough air...no go....still overheats.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Espar Overheating

Try giving these guys a call:

Cool It HiWay Services, Abbotsford BC
604 852 6066. Ask for Adam.

They know Espar service and have a good E Bay parts store.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

It won't hurt to try it on the lower altitude setting. I have quite a bit of stuff around my heater but don't have many problems with it. One thing I notice with the water heater control is that it will code out but a few minutes later it will usually restart itself. Does your cab heater restart after it cools?
You say there are no kinks but have you actually been able to blow out or make sure something isn't caught up in the intake? I seem to remember someone (Jeffery?) claiming stuff can get sucked inside the tube.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #7

So I've played with the thermostat and just decided to lower the desired temp...usually around 65 degrees. The heater will run for several hours and then shut down. I'm not showing any fault codes so it may not be overheating anymore. I seem to remember reading somewhere that these units may time out due to programming...is that a possibility? If so, how do I override it where it will run all night if needed. I went camping over the weekend and had to keep getting up to power it back on.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Mine has a timer and the default is 2 hours. It also has a switch that defeats the timer. Make sure the espar unit itself is clear of obstructions.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Mine has a timer and the default is 2 hours. It also has a switch that defeats the timer. Make sure the espar unit itself is clear of obstructions.
Daveb,

Could you explain where the switch is that defeats the timer? I have the Espar Airtronic digital monitor that only allows the two hour run time, but can be programmed for three starts. I read that you can run the unit continuously if you leave the key on. This does not sound optimal to me.
sidcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcro View Post
Daveb,

Could you explain where the switch is that defeats the timer? I have the Espar Airtronic digital monitor that only allows the two hour run time, but can be programmed for three starts. I read that you can run the unit continuously if you leave the key on. This does not sound optimal to me.
OK the only time mine ran for the two hours was if I had it programmed for that run time setting and it had to be set to one of the 3 clock timer setting. Other than that, if I just turned it on (hit the espar button) it ran all night. After switching to a more complex timer, I have a separate toggle switch that must be turned on first before hitting the Espar button. It runs all night and displays the local time. In the morning I turn off that standalone switch and the timer clock defaults to 15 minutes and does a minute by minute countdown until shutdown. Not sure about those with a digital temp gauge
Hope that helps you.