Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Explain it to me like I’m 5: LP tank running my 2 burner?

Hi all,

My SMB has a propane tank that runs the furnace. It also Tees off to a low-pressure quick disconnect on it (the female side is on the van).

The LP system was replaced recently and all looks good and intact. There’s a male “plug” to keep it clean when not in use.

I’d like to run both my double-Bruner stove (Coleman style. It has threads for a disposable tank) and my propane fireplace (has a tank-style connector) off the vans tank.

As I’m a total noob, I just went to the hardware store and bought a hose with a male low pressure fitting. On the other end I had to use a series of reducers to get to the “disposable tank” threads.

Propane is barely (barely) coming out at the stove. When inserting/removing the quick release collar it seems to have appropriate pressure, so I’m guessing I don’t have the right combination of reducers and flare fittings.

I have a couple of hoses that go from a full size propane tank to the stove-threads and they work perfectly

What hose do I need? Two hoses? One for the stove and one for the fire pit?

Please advise. Links to what I need to buy are appreciated!

TechTonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

On your stove, you need to use a fitting that threads directly into the stove, bypassing the regulator arm that connect to the small bottles. The system can only use one regulator, and you currently are using 2 in series.

The fireplace probably requires high-pressure propane, which would require tee-ing off the propane system upstream of the regulator. They do sell tees for this purpose, which have the same threads as those disposable bottles. You can find this tee at most RV supply stores. You could run the stove off this too, and continue to use the stove’s regulator-arm.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

Yep, you're double regulating the propane if the appliance you are running has a regulator. I think the easiest solution would be to run a T prior to the regulator on the van, as mentioned above. Then you can keep your stove as is and keep a 1lb bottle on hand in case your van tank runs dry and you need to cook something. You would also be able to run your propane firepit.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #4

Garage
Take a picture of the quick connect and ask MB Sturgis to make a propane hose to use for your portable stove and fire pit. Both of those fitting are likely 3/8”.
https://www.mbsturgis.com/
They can help you with the fitting you need,
I had the same issue with our external propane quick disconnect from SMB West. I couldn’t find an appropriate fitting from the usual culprits, i.e. Camping World, etc.
Here’s what ours looked liked: Sorry, it’s spun 180 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
8B68B04A-0085-4B1E-928B-0BD34A53A392.jpeg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #5

Frankly, I can't follow the OP description without pictures. If you are trying to adapt to a disposable 16-oz/14-oz bottle, well, it's not likely. Need to replace the regulator on the stove with something like THIS FROM AMAZON.

Bottom line is you should have exactly one (1) propane regulator. If your Coleman stove has it's own, you need to remove it and plumb direct,.

Good luck.

Peter
Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #6

The RV regulator is two stage(10 to 15 psi, then to 11 inches of water column), and the output is much to low for your stove and firepit. So the easiest thing to do is tap your external line before the regulator. Most Colman style comp stoves regulators are 10 to 15 PSI.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 AM   #7

You can install an Extend-A-Stay to your existing tank. It goes between the tank and your regulator. It's primary purpose is to allow you to hook up an external tank to your RV but it also provides a high pressure outlet so you can hook up a camp stove or BBQ with a built-in regulator. This kit includes the fitting plus two hoses, one for connecting an external tank and one for connecting your stove or BBQ:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Conn...dDbGljaz10cnVl

There are numerous installation videos on Youtube.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliesmom View Post
Take a picture of the quick connect and ask MB Sturgis to make a propane hose to use for your portable stove and fire pit. Both of those fitting are likely 3/8”.
https://www.mbsturgis.com/
They can help you with the fitting you need,
I had the same issue with our external propane quick disconnect from SMB West. I couldn’t find an appropriate fitting from the usual culprits, i.e. Camping World, etc.
Here’s what ours looked liked: Sorry, it’s spun 180 degrees.
Scott - fittings are confusing as heck. I have quick-disconnects on everything both at home and mobile, so I've spent an inordinate amount of time adapting small propane appliances. On most small propane stoves/grills, the fittings are 1/4" NPT (pipe) thread. But not all - I seem to recall my Weber Q is actually 1/8" NPT; and a NexGrill I bought from Costco (similar to Weber Q) had 3/8" NPT. My small 17" and 22" Blackstone griddles require a special fitting (HERE), but a friend's 36" Blackstone is 3/8" NPT. All need to be adapted 3/8" flare for the propane hose run. I have more spare plumbing parts than I care to account for due to mismatched efforts to adapt various propane components.

It's tough to assist the OP without better information, but my guess is he's trying to tap-in to his rigs low-pressure propane (i.e. after the regulator) into some sort of adapter into his Coleman stove that has another regulator on the 1-lb bottle fitting, meaning he has two regulators inline. A propane appliance should have one and only one regulator. If he's trying to adapt his Coleman Stove to his van's lo-pressure propane system, he can replace the regulator/1-lb bottle fitting with something like THIS.

Bottom line: OP needs to determine whether he's tapping in to the hi-pressure side before the regulator or the lo-pressure side after the regulator - most likely the latter which means he needs to get rid of the appliance-attached regulator using an adapter along the lines as the links above. If the former, then some sort of splitter is in order with a regulator at each appliance.

Peter
Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
You can install an Extend-A-Stay to your existing tank. It goes between the tank and your regulator. It's primary purpose is to allow you to hook up an external tank to your RV but it also provides a high pressure outlet so you can hook up a camp stove or BBQ with a built-in regulator. This kit includes the fitting plus two hoses, one for connecting an external tank and one for connecting your stove or BBQ:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Conn...dDbGljaz10cnVl

There are numerous installation videos on Youtube.
This is sweet! I might have to pick one of these up for my trailer.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Garage
@Weebles you are absolutely right on the variety of adapters for small camp stoves and other accessories that use small bottles. We carry a Camp Chef portable fire ring and a Camp Chef Ranger II portable stove. They each have a 3/8” connector at the appliance end with a standard 10-20 lbs. propane tank hook up with regulator. My suggestion to call Bill at MB Sturgis will save a lot of time and frustration regarding the OP’s questions. It turns out the disconnect on our SMB is an unusual size. They built us a 16’ hose compatible for both appliances and the SMB supplied quick connect.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote