Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Flooring Ideas

Hi--

Recently jumped down the rabbit hole of adding soundproofing along the floor/sides of the van. I pulled all the seats out and the carpet rear of the driver/passenger out. I didn't run into any bad surprises, but noticed that the underside of the carpet stank (25 years of coffee, oil and use... Vacuuming only does so much), and had a few paint bubbles that need fixing.

-- Obviously, I could try and "wash out" and remove as many of the stains as I could, but I think the right answer is to just replace the carpet. My queries to the forum, since I'm certain many of you have also made one or more of these decisions prior:

>> Short "indoor-outdoor" carpet versus rubber coin matting that I have seen others use? (Carpet something like this, or maybe rubber mat something like this?

>> Thoughts on "one-piece" versus "two-piece"? Is there perks to keeping the vinyl under the driver/passenger seats separate from the flooring of the rest of the van? I am planning Weathertech mats down the road, and they specifically say "not recommended" for vinyl flooring...

The flooring material would be put on top of 80mil kilmat and 315 mil Noico Red. Looking for something durable, easy to maintain, looks nice. If it has some sound-proofing value, that would be nice. Weight isn't a big consideration. Occasionally has "wet" stuff on the floor (Skis, boots, that kind of thing). Is there anything I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Erik

Old 05-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #2

Regarding floor mats : some stay in place because they have small pointy spines that hold on to carpet, but these don't work on vinyl. Just something to check as it may affect your choice of mat and flooring. But perhaps you could make it work anyway with velcro on floor and under mat.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #3

Front floor mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Hi--

Recently jumped down the rabbit hole of adding soundproofing along the floor/sides of the van. I pulled all the seats out and the carpet rear of the driver/passenger out. I didn't run into any bad surprises, but noticed that the underside of the carpet stank (25 years of coffee, oil and use... Vacuuming only does so much), and had a few paint bubbles that need fixing.

-- Obviously, I could try and "wash out" and remove as many of the stains as I could, but I think the right answer is to just replace the carpet. My queries to the forum, since I'm certain many of you have also made one or more of these decisions prior:

>> Short "indoor-outdoor" carpet versus rubber coin matting that I have seen others use? (Carpet something like this, or maybe rubber mat something like this?

>> Thoughts on "one-piece" versus "two-piece"? Is there perks to keeping the vinyl under the driver/passenger seats separate from the flooring of the rest of the van? I am planning Weathertech mats down the road, and they specifically say "not recommended" for vinyl flooring...

The flooring material would be put on top of 80mil kilmat and 315 mil Noico Red. Looking for something durable, easy to maintain, looks nice. If it has some sound-proofing value, that would be nice. Weight isn't a big consideration. Occasionally has "wet" stuff on the floor (Skis, boots, that kind of thing). Is there anything I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Erik
Hi Erik,
Doing the same thing on my new build. For the front floor area I choose to go with the factory rubber floor mat in front came in commercial vans, ordered from ford.. Removing the carpet. Form fit, easy to clean and what ever floor mat you choose works. The rear living area, one piece of vinyl cut to fit up to the bed from HD, and under the bed storage area coin mat.
Just a thought, Joe Futrmobl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote