Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Freshwater Tank Leaks

Was plugged into shore power last night and left the waterpump on all night and now have water all over the floor of my van around the water tank. Typically only turn on the pump when I use the sink and then turn it off. Last night I forgot to turn it off. Can't really tell where the water came from as all the pipes and the storage tank seem dry. Would leaving the pump on cause water to leak out somwehere?...OK. Figured out the leak is actually coming from the water pump. See pic. Still trying to figure out how to get the best quality out of my pics, but hopefully can tell the leak is coming from the seam of the water pump. Is there an internal gasket that can be replaced? Maybe some external sealer I can apply around the seam? Wish I could change the name of this thread to waterpump leaks? Can I change the name of threads created by myself?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Pump Leak.gif  

Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Re: Freshwater Tank Leaks

Don't worry about the thread name. It'll work for you.

Shurflow pumps have manuals on line with all parts and part numbers (lists and disassembly/assembly drawings). I think the pump must be disassembled to determine the problem. Sounds like part damage - maybe from freezing. Just leaving the power switch on should not make any difference - the pump didn't run all night or you would have heard it.

Hope it's just a gasket replacement. Let us know how this pans out.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

I hate trying to guess at what's wrong but I think it might be the valve assembly which is just a 17 dollar part but involves taking the whole darn pump apart. I'm not sure I have the patience to do this with out screwing something up.
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

I'm guessing that is on the unpressurized side of the pump, the draw side?

If there is a leak in the pressurized side, the pump will cycle periodically through the night as pressure drops, it kicks in and re-pressurizes the system. Nothing wrong with leaving it on, and an extra cycle after it's pumped and settled is normal for my system. Firing every 45 minutes all night is a sign something is open or leaking.

Since it is leaking out of the housing, why not suspect the housing?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
I hate trying to guess at what's wrong but I think it might be the valve assembly which is just a 17 dollar part but involves taking the whole darn pump apart. I'm not sure I have the patience to do this with out screwing something up.
I have taken mine apart and got a replacement diaphragm for it thinking it was the problem. Mine wouldn't shut off even though my tank had no leaks. Turned out it was just an adjustment screw on top of the unit that I had to loosen and it has worked ever since. Now I can leave it on all the time now and it pressurizes normally like it should. The point is it is a really easy project to do. Takes little patience to disassemble it and put it back together. Took me maybe 20 minutes? Not sure if the pump is your problem?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #6

So I guess it's decision time. Apparently these pumps aren't that expensive and the job is doable so do I play the guessing game of buying the valve assembly which is just a fancy name for a piece of plastic that fits between the housing and the drive assembly of do I just buy a whole new unit? I'm pretty sure I have the 2088 Sureflo classic which I saw on Amazon for 60 bucks.
Or do I just try to caulk the seam...shoe goo it...PVC cement maybe...although I don't want to have to remove a bunch of sealer gunk down the road to get to the valve assembly. I guess if it came to that I would just buy a new pump.
The water pump is cycling off and on periodically as every so often it makes a little grunt to let me know it's there. Also, and maybe this is by design, if I leave the fill valve open it never shuts off.
L
Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #7

If this is a SMB conversion, you might call them and see if they can sell you a replacement pump at cost plus shipping...might be worth the effort...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Also, and maybe this is by design, if I leave the fill valve open it never shuts off.
L
This is by design, the pump is recycling water through the fill valve into the tank- not that it's meant to be run that way (although I've left mine on for more than a hour on accident and there was no damage, although the pump was extremely hot).

City Water + Valve Open = Fills Tank
City Water + Valve Closed = System Pressure from City Water
Pump On + Valve Closed = System Pressure from pump (source: Tank)
Pump On + Valve Open = Fills Tank (source: Tank)

A tight system can hold a fair amount of line pressure for a long time with the pump off. The tank itself is never pressurized.

So worst case, would you rather pull the pump find out it's garbage and have to wait for a replacement to ship, or buy a replacement and on install find out the pump in there was perfectly good all along, it just needed, say, a screw tightened on the back?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Hope it's just a gasket replacement. Let us know how this pans out.
Since it only seems to leak when I leave the waterpump on all night or for an extended period of time I have decided to live with this issue for now. I just have to remember to turn of the waterpump when I'm not using the sink.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Since it only seems to leak when I leave the waterpump on all night or for an extended period of time I have decided to live with this issue for now.
That'll work, but leaks never get better on their own. Would you rather fix it at home or on the road....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote